Why do they always give haldol in the hospital?

Every time I’ve been to the hospital their first choice for initial or as needed antipsychotic medication is haldol. Why is this? They also seem to consistently give me Ativan as opposed to any other benzo. Why do they choose these drugs as opposed to others?

Because it’s fast and strong.

4 Likes

If I go to hospital, probably they won’t give me haldol which I take already but something different

1 Like

Does haldol work immediately? I always thought it took at least a few days for an ap to start working

1 Like

Haldol at higher doses works immediately

1 Like

I think because they want to tranquilize people to the maximum degree. Haldol is an old drug, and a harsh drug. I would never take Haldol, because of the very high risk of dystonia and akathisia it has.

1 Like

but I take 1.5mg daily and it works well, no side effects

And, that magical third characteristic. It’s cheap.

4 Likes

Cheap, fast, strong, and easily administered during a flying tackle.

Don’t ask how I know the last bit.

:flushed:

4 Likes

Haldol is a major tranquilizer and calms the brain. So do benzos. The haldol is usually given in high doses, intramuscular, and it can calm a psychotic patient.
I am prescribed a daily 10mg Haldol. It is one of the 1st and oldest antipsych meds.

1 Like

I did a little research on haldol, apparently it’s good for aggression and agitation. That could be part of the reason

Interesting that is your experience. When i’ve gone to hospital, the first antipsychotic they put me on was Olanzapine. It worked alright but it made me put on too much weight. I’ve never tried Haliperidol, and i don’t think i would like to being an older drug and a higher risk for developing side effects.