Why do so many people here want to stop meds?

We do not allow people to encourage others to quit their meds on their own. But many doctors advocate for slowly tapering down after someone has been stable for a long time (generally 18-24 months) and we are very big on encouraging people to follow their doctor’s guidance. After all, they are the ones with medical degrees and an intimate knowledge of the patient’s case.

And, as @fractaled said, some people are med resistant. Those people don’t find relief no matter what meds they take, and just end up with terrible side effects. They are a very small subset, but deserve help as well.

There is also a huge difference between being med free and treating your symptoms with medications other than an antipsychotic. Most of the people I see on here who are “off meds” still take other psych meds that work better for their specific symptoms.

5 Likes

I mean it has helped with some of my symptoms but I doesnt help them all.im now also constantly forgetful like a gold fish I have one thought in my head then after a few seconds it disappears it’s getting better gradually but getting worse in other ways it’s so embarrassing. Especially at work

Maybe try ADHD meds like Ritalin and Adderall?
They increase concentration/focus and give energy.

1 Like

I fixed my negative symptoms with a dopamine supplement, its similar to but weaker than Ritalin and Adderall. But after a week I was more irritable so stopped it.

I could do but I dont know if that would be the best Idea I’ve always wondered if I have add without the hyperactivity.becouse I have never been the best at concentrating but that could also be my dyslexia because I dont understand things the way other people do.but with these meds it’s like whole new level of not being able to concentrate its terrible

1 Like

How many episodes have you had ?

I feel personally attacked. Lol!

3 Likes

I’ve had to be hospitalized four times.

I guess you could consider them all episodes.

I’ve had two episodes of psychosis and I’m hoping to come off of antipsychotics in the future.

Just hoping I don’t have a life long illness!

1 Like

are you on AD and anxiety meds now?

Yes.

1 Like

Knock it off, @anon28145038 . If you don’t want flags, don’t post delusional things on conversations.

I have stopped putting me and my family through the trouble now I am stable enough on Amisulpride

Quitting meds cold turkey as many times as I have I do not think is a healthy thing to do

Took several attempts for me to finally realise I need this medicine

1 Like

I dont even like that i have this diagnose.
So How can i accept this medication?

3 Likes

exactly 0020202

1 Like

I’ve noticed the hair thinning side effect on Abilify too. It’s not a lot of thinning, but I can definitely tell it’s happening a bit.

3 Likes

Same for Olanzapine

How many episodes have you had? Glad you’re off of aps!

By the way, a lot of folks prescribed medicines for their hearts do not follow their doctors’ advice. And so it goes.

The meds are kind of strong and not healthy !

2 Likes