Why Do Schizophrenics Smoke Cigarettes? | Brain Blogger

1 Like

I couldn’t concentrate on the video because of the girls smoking in the background :smile:

1 Like

Ha ha i only saw half of it but didn’t really notice woman smoking in the background…!!!
fortunately i am smoke free since 6 month…!!! But i know smoke causes lot of damage to our brain lungs and our health as Sz are weaker by their own health quality…!!!
So i request all my forum friend try to quit it as soon as possible…!!!
my hearty request…!!!

1 Like

Wow well done that’s the hardest bit done you’ll breeze through it I’m at like stage 2

1 Like

Do you know why smoking reduces the side effects of antipsychotic medication?
It is because nicotine releases dopamine in the brain, and the person finds it pleasurable. Antipsychotics reduce the effect of dopamine which is unpleasant.
People who take a drug with a strong antidopamine effect like risperidone or olanzanapine tend to smoke more, than a mild one like chlorpromazine.
Smoking can also make the person feel relaxed.

1 Like

But it’s better to quit…Cuz it has many worst side effect from cognitive dysfunction to lung cancer…!!!
so enjoy Ur life without smoking(smoke)

Though I don’t smoke myself, I have been in heavy smoking populations since I was 18 - almost forty years. When I was in the army a huge percentage of the enlisted men smoked. (The officers commonly didn’t. I think that in my four years in the army I saw only one officer who smoked.) Just as high, if not higher than sz’s who smoke. Also in AA groups, a huge percentage of those people smoke - the same percentage as those who smoke in the army. Now I’m in an assisted living center with a lot of smokers. I think the combination of the strong drugs we take and cigarettes puts a double whammy on our health. It seems like we have an awfully high percentage of people with lung disease here.

1 Like

i’m done with smoking about 6 years.

3 Likes

good appreciated…???