Why do people quit the medicine?

I don’t have it currently.

I don’t know this is the case.

1 Like

I’m really pleased everything is going well for you! It definitely gives me hope.

When I come off I will first stay on a dose of Olanzapine like 2.5mg for six months and then move down to 1.25 for another six months.

1 Like

Did you spend four years on antipsychotics before you regained insight? If so that’s very scary!

I have quit multiple times due to either side effects, or believing that I was mis-diagnosed.

1 Like

I’ve only been on APs for 3 years. I spent 4 years unmedicated until I finally ended up in the hospital

I tried for years to taper off fluphenazine for fear of risks, ie tarditive dyskenesia. I finally went off it, and was fine but was experiencing symptoms within 2-6 months. I didn’t think I needed it and consistently get the idea I’m supposed to reduce it, be on the lowest possible dose.

1 Like

That’s pretty much how I feel about being on the lowest dose possible.

I seek medication as soon as I lose insight, it’s part of my delusions that I need to go to the hospital. It took me six weeks on 10 mg Olanzapine to regain my insight and sanity. I just came out of my delusions suddenly after a trip to the gym.

1 Like

It’s 2% for symptoms that has not exacerbated

I’ve stopped taking the AP a few times without the approval of my pdoc and I always ended up in hospital. The main reason for why I stopped taking them in 2017 was because I wanted to have kids.My prolactin levels was sky high and I was never getting my periods. Now I have just given up. I don’t think I will ever be blessed with kids. I have just accepted that I need to be on meds to be sane and no kids for me unfortunately.

Medications make me vulnerable. They make me an easy prey for scammers, conartists, clowns and manipulators. But finally I found a peaceful way to deal with this problem getting harrased by them without getting violent abusive or aggressive.

1 Like

I quit APs due to the side effects. I’m still on ADs. I have Risperdone pills on hand from process in case things start to go bad. Or as @shutterbug would say… If my cheese starts to slide off my cracker.

4 Likes

Going by what i have read on here over the years, People forget its the meds that are keeping them well - come off them, and then you see the posts later that they are having a meltdown.

Im not saying everyone is the same, but for most of us, we gotta be on some form of AP for life.

2 Likes

I’ve quit the med’s before because they drain me of so much physical strength, but I’m 63, and my strength is going to wane anyway. The med’s I’m on do right by my mind, though. I’m fairly pleased with where I am at emotionally and cerebrally. I don’t want to ruin that. One thing I don’t like about the med’s I am currently on is that they ruin my body’s temperature regulation mechanisms. Since I have been I Geodon and Seroquel I’ve found that I can mow one, very small lawn in the summertime, no more. I’m very prone to overheating when I am on Geodon and Seroquel. If I ever went back out on the street I would have to get off my med’s. No question about it. I used to love to go backpacking, but I couldn’t do that now. That bothers me. If they ever want to try to put me on Haldol again they are going to have to catch me first.

So you’re lucky to be in that 2 percent at the moment

Wow. That’s impressive you have the ability to know when to get meds.

1 Like

Yeah it’s part of my delusions that I need to go to the hospital to escape every body who is trying to kill me!

I most certainly am on medication as I take it and can feel the side effects and it is possibly protecting me from psychosis atm. Even if it is 2.5mg is ‘clinically’ a ‘sub therapeutic’ dose, people are different and respond differently to meds.

1 Like

You’re do really well to be stable on that dose. I’m going to be having another attempt at reducing and then coming off in four months!

How long have you been on that dose and do you intend on coming off?

I will probably try to get by for six months on 2.5mg Olanzapine before coming off completely again.

1 Like

Thankyou!

I can’t even remember how long I’ve been on 2.5mg lol

Maybe 2 years now

I’m so grateful, really truly…

It’s such a blessing to me to be on 2.5mg as I’m extremely sensitive to the side effects as the dose goes up.