Schizophrenia.com

Why do insults stand out so much?

I feel like I remember every insult I’ve ever gotten. Compliments stand out too, but why insults?

3 Likes

In my experience if you help someone with something they quickly forget but if you smack them they’ll remember you for life.

Idk. Maybe because humans appreciate the wrong things.

2 Likes

Ive had plenty of insults - from Nutter to mong, and even a pedo.

There are plenty of evil people out there. Some in my case have slagged me off, to make themselves better about themselves - cos they know damn well im far better off than they are financially.

You reacting is just empowering them. Just laugh at the sad basta!ds and move on.

I garantee they are usually secretly jealous.

2 Likes

Because insults confirm our fears and bad thoughts about ourselves.
Idk about you, but I rarely believe compliments because I don’t think that way about myself.
The only compliments I believe are about my intelligence. I don’t mean to toot my own horn, but one thing I know is that I’m somewhat smart.

2 Likes

It’s an evolutionary trait. People remember bad experiences more than good ones because it only takes one bad experience to end your life.

3 Likes

Like @naturallycured said. We evolved to remember negative experiences because being able to remember lion = danger saved our ancestors enough times. The ones who didn’t learn from negative experiences didn’t survive to pass down traits.

3 Likes

I agree with the other comments. What bothers me the most about insults - I mean genuinely hostile ones - is their randomness and the sheer injustice of them, the breakdown in communication and shared commitment to basic values. When in conflict with someone my instinct is always to reach out and try to work through the differences. Unfortunately too many people interpret this as weakness or even an admission of guilt. I’m truly petrified of breakdowns in communication.

2 Likes

I think insults only work, when they give rise to doubts we already have about ourselves. It doesn’t mean they are true, it just means we feel that way already on some level

None of us have impenetrable armour, so insults seem to go right to the heart of the matter

1 Like

Because we think insults are true but we have a hard time believing compliments are true.

2 Likes

I’ve had insults thrown at me too. It does hurt. That is why they stand out.

It is demoralising at least for a while.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.