Why didn’t my mom take care of herself?

My mom was a type I diabetic who didn’t manage her diabetes so she died of kidney failure when I was 13. I needed her.

10 Likes

I suppose it’s the same way schizophrenics go off of their meds.

Do you have good memories with her?

3 Likes

She had this corny sense of humor. Once she put a flower pot on top of her head and said,”I’m a pothead.” She was also very gentle and soft spoken. She had a lot of friends too.

My folks divorced when I was 6 and I lived with my dad so I really didn’t know much about her. I loved her though.

6 Likes

That’s the way my Grandma died. They didn’t know much about the condition when she was alive. She went through alot. I think she would have lived longer if she had gotten better care.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that Loke…

2 Likes

I’m sorry about your mum @Loke

I can imagine it must have been difficult to manage. I’m sure she tried her best.
Me personally if I was a diabetic I would find it incredibly hard to change my diet

1 Like

Yeah. I think care also had something to do with it. My mom died in 1990 so maybe medical treatment wasn’t as advanced. She was diagnosed at 8 years old. In 1962.

I know. I like sweets myself.

1 Like

I’ve had 1000ml of ice cream in 2 days. I’m really scaring myself. It’s not easy to control. One tub yesterday one today.

1 Like

I’m worried about my mom. Shes type 2 diabetic and doesn’t manage it all that well.

2 Likes

My mom had diabetes since a young child. That’s the thing. Maybe it would have happened anyway. Type I is worse than Type II I think.

1 Like

Short term type 1 is very worse. Long term effects of type two can range from diabetic blindness, amputation of limbs, and death, if it’s not managed correctly.

1 Like

Have you talked to your mother about this? Sometimes people just want to be normal so they eat like everyone else. My grandma said my mom used to sneak candy as a kid.

1 Like

My mom was a diabetic that never took care of herself. Her birthday was yesterday. She died in 2010 a month before my birthday and 4 months before my last child was born. It still makes me angry.

3 Likes

My mom didn’t feel well a lot but she never complained about it. The only time I ever saw her mad was when my stepbrother broke one of her favorite wind chimes. I just don’t remember my mom ever being mad.

My mum is at high risk of diabetes due to her weight but she has reached that kind of weight where u feel like u don’t want to lose loads of weight due to excess skin… I feel sad for her for that reason. I think pregnancy may have triggered it in her

1 Like

I gained that kind of weight on APs. I lost 30 some pounds though.

1 Like

That’s cool u lost that
I think weight loss of any amount is always gonna help in the long run

1 Like

I’ve been nice about it, I’ve been mean, I’ve tried to shock her with facts and evidence, and nothing I say gets through to her.

It really upsets me.

2 Likes

Apparently my grandma didn’t complain either. Grandad left her because he didn’t want to deal with her illness. It was very hard on her and my mom growing up. She did the best she could despite having to raise her two kids and have no support from anyone. I’m so proud of her and I wish I had been able to know her.

1 Like