Why did the dentist ask me if i have a mental illness?

I had to fill in on the form if i have a mental illness lol.

Wtf do they need to know ?

2 Likes

I think it’s to do with meds your on as if you have anaesthetic can sedate you more.

3 Likes

Maybe they want to know if you’re going to bite them lolol jk

3 Likes

They ask about all medical conditions because if you have a flare-up of ANY medical condition, they’re required to respond. Mental illness is just one category. And yeah, they ask about meds so they know if you have interactions. For example, on Geodon, you can’t take any opioids because the interaction can kill you.

3 Likes

Also, some antipsychotics give dry mouth, which damaged the teeth

2 Likes

I think it’s unnecesary to ask this.

1 Like

Two weeks ago I went to the hospital because I had cystitis and the doctor asked me if I had some illness. So I told him I don’t have any physical illness and that I have schizophrenia. But I don’t know why he did ask me, because my diagnosis appears always on doctors’ computers.

1 Like

They asked me to, but I never told them, none of their business

1 Like

Mentally ill people neglect hygiene often. It lets them know if bad oral health might be due to mental illness and harder to treat. It also gives the dentist an idea if someone is just chowing on sugar or unable to actually care properly for themselves.

Healing time and infection is higher forpeople who don’t have good oral care. The dentist will know if the patient might need extra care. ALSO, some mentally ill people have higher anxiety, so they can respond and be prepared. All sorts of reasons.

Oh and possible lower pain tolerance AND a higher tolerance for pain meds, numbing agents.

2 Likes

I would assume they have to be confidential so probably no need to worry.

They must see people with all sorts of issues

2 Likes

Ask them!!..………………

2 Likes

I like you more every day. You are so direct, yet kind. You’re responsible, yet fun.

Thanks. I look to you for an example of how to behave here. I would hug you, but I’ll settle for air hugs.

You’re doing a great job!

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. If I had money, I’d do dental implants. My teeth are horrible. I don’t like to smile.

My teeth are bad because…

Poor hygiene
Medication
Throwing up so much and being too sick to clean after

1 Like

Thanks so much! Air hug!

1 Like

■■■■ cleaning ya teeth. Just use a mouth wash.

Whenever you find yourself needing a hug, I’m here. :blush:

1 Like

Doctors want to know all about your medical history, this is normal.

1 Like

I suppose you’re right about Geodon and opioids.

Mrs. Jayster was on Geodon and opioids for a long time.

J.

1 Like

That’s really scary. The combination can cause respiratory distress and even stop breathing altogether.

She has major respiratory illness. She is scheduling for a lung transplant.

She has five spinal fusions which equals considerable back pain for her. So she was on opioids and Geodon for a long time. Then the lung issues came to the forefront.

To get her ready for a lung transplant, they took her off all opioids. As far as I know, she is still on Geodon.

Help us please!

J.

1 Like