Why can't cats resist thinking inside the box?

Twitter’s been on fire with people amazed by cats that seem compelled to park themselves in squares of tape marked out on the floor. These felines appear powerless to resist the call of the #CatSquare.

This social media fascination is a variation on a question I heard over and over as a panelist on Animal Planet’s “America’s Cutest Pets” series. I was asked to watch video after video of cats climbing into cardboard boxes, suitcases, sinks, plastic storage bins, cupboards and even wide-necked flower vases.

“That’s so cute … but why do you think she does that?” was always the question. It was as if each climbing or squeezing incident had a completely different explanation.

It did not. It’s just a fact of life that cats like to squeeze into small spaces where they feel much safer and more secure. Instead of being exposed to the clamor and possible danger of wide open spaces, cats prefer to huddle in smaller, more clearly delineated areas.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-04-cats-resist.html#jCp

2 Likes

My cat jumped into the square we made!

3 Likes

I think it’s hilarious that this news article came from phys.org. Apparently nerds love cats! :nerd::smile_cat:

If it fits, it sits

It’s all good unless the cat mistakes the taped square for a litter box. :scream_cat:

1 Like

They are too clean to make such a mistake!

I love cats and their thinking “inside the box”.