Why calories are a con | The Economist

I’m not exactly sure of the solution. Just cut out the junk and exercise I guess.

2 Likes

i find even if i eat junk, just exercise more to make up for it works too

2 Likes

You mountain bike right? How much do you do it every day?

1 Like

my mother is thin because she eats food.

Food? what’s that?

2 Likes

Basically learned nothing from video, looks like a clickbait, since everyone in media is doing it nowadays.

Also in the past low calorie diets used to leave me brain dead, so I find that when I was measuring calories that was a good way to ensure that I don’t under eat too much increasing or reducing percentage of deficit or surplus.

1 Like

i only ride between 1-3 times a week. but when i ride im probably burning between 900 and 2500 calories. depends if i decide to do some monster ride or not :smile:

http://www.mycaloriesburned.com/calories-burned-mountain-biking/

i weigh like 212 lbs.

when i mtn bike i climb between 500- 1000 meters of challenging climbs. then descend them fast. so its basically an HIIT workout for 2+ hours.

like im doing a bike trip this weekend with some friends, and the first day is 1400 meters of climbing, and very challenging descent. then the next day will be like 1000 meters as well.
so im gonna be toast :smile:

2 Likes

I don’t count my calories anymore.
I basically eat well but I try not to overeat.
I’m not losing weight but I’m not gaining either.
My pdoc said that as long as I’m not gaining I’m fine.

4 Likes

Let me share what I’ve learn about calories in school.
1 calorie is the same as 4,18 joules and that’s the energy needed to raise 1℃ of 1 gram of water.
So although food as a lot of water there is more into it than H2O.
So in my opinion if you’re counting calories you’re just counting the water that is evaporating on your body from food intake.

1 Like

that could certain account with fruits and veggies, but you need fat to absorb those nutrients. My grandfather was prescribed water pills and he lost 30 pounds.

3 Likes

I calorie counted for 30-40 days and I lost 18 pounds. According to this video my scale was broken.

1 Like

I’ve been calorie counting since mid-March and I’m down 27 pounds. It does work.

2 Likes

I’ve been very carefully measuring my portions and counting my calories every day for at least four years and in the last year I’ve gained ten pounds.

1 Like

I track calories and I lose weight. I stop and I gain weight. This has been the last twenty years of my life.

2 Likes

Phil makes me meals, I eat them no matter what. He’s skinny, I’m not exactly. Maybe different cook in the kitchen?

1 Like

Using the word calorie doesn’t indicate any understanding of the concept of a calorie.

It’s a very vague measure of chemical energy released in exothermic reactions. A calorie is measure of heat that can be gain via molecular interactions.

The are a lot of different molecules… and many of them are not easily burned… if burned at all.

Sugar, fat, carbs, proteins… is the burn order… if you are leaning towards sweets and fried foods or those foods with high amounts of saturated fats… you’re only burning the food that’s coming in… you can’t lose weight that way.

Another fun fact is that a Calorie(capital ‘c’) is equal to 1000 regular calories…

have fun counting that… you actually need 3 more zeros on the end of every stated Cal label.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.