Schizophrenia.com

Why am I more comfortable at support group,more than I am at home

Why do intend to speak more and feel better at support group than I am at home/work?
I can’t seems to join in socializing at work or home and look comfortable but I look and sounds more comfortable in support group at the hospital,what is the reason?

Probably because you’re with people who know firsthand about mental illness and understand what you’ve been through.
And what it’s like to be mentally ill and the unique challenges we face better than any non-mentally ill person.

■■■■■■■ right(sorry about the swear)@77nick77,totally spot on!!

Lol. My teacher used to use that term all the time.“spot on”.

When you are with ppl who know what it is like to have a MI you can relaxe. You don’t have to explain so much or make excuses for stuff that is not so okay.

Perhaps you’re also more conscious and concerned about being judged by the people at work or home - whereas that is a low risk at the support group…

I really hope I can be less afraid of being judged,I need to behave more maturely and speak more maturely,afterall the support group is gonna be over soon,and I can’t keep on thinking of that,I need to overcome myself in my work/life and live more maturely!

Its not a case of maturity - its a case of not believing that other peoples judgements can harm you - knowing that some people will always judge other people no matter what you do and it doesn’t matter because not everyone will judge you negatively, and there will always be some people who are like you and don’t judge you. Look at a person you see on the street doing something you might not approve of - and say to yourself “he’s an absolutely terrible person” - does that judgement of yours affect him? no - it doesn’t.

This is simple…you see yourself in other members of support groups. Like at AA, I was like “wow, everyone here has had the same problem that I had” but I learned that I wasnt by definition an alcoholic, as I can and do drink moderately, so I quit going. I was a binge drinker for about a year, my doctors say that it was self medication and not true alcoholism. Everyone at NAMI meetings were pretty mentally ill, to put it bluntly. I don’t go to support groups except for the lesbian and gay community center sometimes, they do homosexual sex ed and have a program for 18-25 year olds that a guy from my high school class and I have gone to a few times. I feel comfortable around not-straight people (I’m bisexual) but then some of them act a little interested and it’s awkward when I am not interested in them.

I understand why you would feel more comfortable in your support group - you are with like-minded people who understand. I wish I could join a support group, but my local psychiatric hospital where there is a drop-in centre, is quite a distance from my place.