Why Abilify can cause addiction problems

Vraylar is a partial dopamine agonist, now I am scared of taking it :grimacing:

So yeah, Abilify works on Serotonin and Dopamine.
‘‘It is also known as a second generation antipsychotic (SGA) or atypical antipsychotic. Aripiprazole rebalances dopamine and serotonin to improve thinking, mood, and behavior.’’

1 Like

Just to be clear, I am not talking about psychological addiction the classic one. I am talking about addictions caused by meds or by a disease like brain damage etc

1 Like

Because its partial dopamine antagonist. If its not effective on you, then it causes those addictions

1 Like

IMHO it’s the dopamine boost that causes excessive spending. I don’t have those problems usually, but amp (which boosts dopamine heavily) + abilify and I start getting hyped. Last time I bought 300 euro worth of cryto domains, then the time after that I bought 100 euro worth of skins for some game.

1 Like

I mean probably abilify doesnt block the receptor that is responsible for pleasures like gambling and sex and impulsivity. While seratonin and other dopamine receptors get busted, then you are more lilely crave gambling and sex

2 Likes

Yea thats what dopamine dysregulation syndrome is.

Abilify is a partial dopamine agonist, from what I read, it means that sometimes it slightly blocks dopamine and sometimes it boosts dopamine. Some ppl like me are more sensitive to the dopamine boost.

I believe what newlyborn is saying is it has partial agonising effect on some dopamine receptors, wich means some “Feel good” is still getting through, through those receptors. While it has an antagonizing effect on serotonin, so you feel off and try to counterbalance with hitting the pathways that still go through.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.