Who watched 13 reasons why?

And what did you guys think about it?

I thought it was alright, not great or anything though

I watched it really late at night so I got very emotional. I guess that’s why I thought it was so good.

I’ve watched some of it, maybe half? My friend works at a crisis hotline and says they’ve got a bunch of calls regarding it and I find that unfortunate. I don’t think it’s a good show for people struggling to watch, but I don’t agree with all of the complaints about it.

2 Likes

I read the book and decided not to watch the show. So, if you’re wondering specifically what people think of the show, not the book, I apologize.
I was unmoved by the book. But, I can look back at my teenage suicidal self and think the book, and the show, would’ve been dangerous for me. I hope that’s not the case for others.
It would’ve been dangerous for me because if a pretty, smart, social teen who is fairly well liked, has a social life and a stable home wanted to, and did, kill herself, then what was I, an awkward, non-social, outcast waiting for?
It creates this unrealistic scenario of absolute control and vindication master-minded by a supposedly deeply troubled and suffering girl.
Aside from triggering, I found it irresponsibly “easy”.

Sounds like it would be too triggering for me to watch.
No thanks.

1 Like

Eh, I’m not exactly stable at the moment and it didn’t trigger me. I guess everyone responds to that stuff differently.

I’m very glad to hear that! I’ve had suicidal ideation for over 35 years and it didn’t trigger me either, but I was a mess as a teen and it definitely would have affected me.
I work with teenagers now and many of them watched the show and/or read the book. The ones who have talked openly about it in class don’t seem affected either.

3 Likes

I read the books a long time ago, but I couldn’t get into the show. Now I can’t stop thinking about the graphic r*pe scenes, and how there’s no mention of depression, and I think the series was really super sensationalized and kinda dangerously done for anyone at risk. It wasn’t made for a mentally ill audience. It really spooked me. :sob:

2 Likes

There’s also a really graphic suicide scene that could be triggering. But according to the producers, that’s so that people can see it’s not easy to end it and it does hurt. But yeah, very triggering!!

3 Likes

I’m on episode 12, 1 to go. I’m finding it very triggering but also somewhat helpful in regards to dealing with my own past attempts. As an adult its easy to imagine that a teenager would glorify it. But I don’t think that is the psychology of what people’s different reactions to it are.

I’ve watched 3 episodes so far and I think it’s really well made. I don’t have suicidal tendencies but I have thought of killing myself, never seriously though. However, after I watched, I found it made me think more about suicide from watching it, although I wouldn’t call it a trigger. It still never made me serious about it, but it brought that topic into my thoughts. I like the show though.

Seen 3 episodes. Makes me think about how old I am. Also how so many people kill themselves over petty ■■■■. Go through fifteen years of on and off psychosis and deep depression and come back and talk to me about killing yourself

3 Likes