Schizophrenia.com

Who managed to have independant life?

That’s great news! Pretty impressive.

1 Like

I probably wouldn’t without David

On my own except for a couple years at mom’s farm after recovering from psychosis…that was early 1998 through 2000…doing fine…

1 Like

I am independent. Going back to college now to try to get a more lucrative job than I previously had.

2 Likes

I’m financially independent, but I live with family and do not pay for boarding.

I may move out again soon. Just waiting on confidence to develop a little more

1 Like

To live independently, you need to live like a spy, because they’re are so many brain deprived busybodies who want to run everyone’s life with stupidity, ignorance and greed.

Independence is a state of mind

Mostly. Once my psychosis started to let up and I started to become stable I could do more for myself. From 19-22 it was hospitals and group homes. Then while in the group home I got a job. I moved into semi-independent living and stayed there for 5 years.

I worked that job four years. I eventually got kicked out of my housing for doing drugs and paying my rent late all the time.

In 1990 I got clean and moved into a board & care home. I got a couple jobs and went back to school. The thing about the board and care home was that we had very little responsibilities. The older couple who ran it hired these women to come in and do all the cleaning and cooking. About our only responsibilities was to make our beds each morning and keep our little area in our bedrooms neat.

Anyways, in 1995 my sister had a spare room in her duplex and asked if I wanted to take that room and move in. I was very high functioning at the time and jumped at the chance. I moved in and she treated me like any other roommate. I had to pay half the rent and half the utilities. I had to do my share of cleaning and pick up after myself. I lived there three years and in fact, that was the start of being really independent.

For the next 20 years I was in “normal” society. I did everything for myself. I rented rooms, got my own jobs, took care of my cars, took care of my own money, found new jobs when I needed to, found new housing if a needed to, shopped and cooked for myself etc.

Basically, I was pretty close to being independent as possible. I still saw the therapists and psychiatrists. I sometimes belonged to support groups, took my medication. My family helped me in some ways.

Now I still take care of myself, but I ended up in mental health supported housing. We’re on our own except a counselor comes by every three weeks. But I get myself up and drive to work three days a week. I just applied to college. I make appointments and go to my numerous doctors appointments.

One thing I should mention that is so important is that I’ve had paranoid schizophrenia for forty years now. I’ve had many ups and downs. In fact, some really low downs. Nevertheless, I’ve had a lot of fun. I’ve done a little traveling and did some really fun things. I’ve waterskied, jet skied, went camping, been to several comedy clubs, been out to eat a million times, been to concerts, even went to the circus once! I could write a lot about all the things I’ve done. And having fun is important. My life hasn’t been all doom and gloom. it’s not constant misery. it gets really horrible sometimes but it usually doesn’t last.

2 Likes

I did for a while. I had my own apartment credit cards a brand new truck. I lost it all because of my illness. It’s rough dealing with this illness because the more independent you become the more people expect from you. People don’t realize you’re coping with a severe mental illness.

2 Likes