Who here that is on disability pay has a goal to be off of it and rely on themselves

Was wondering who here that is on disability has a goal to be off of it.

How are you trying to achieve this goal to be able to rely on yourself and not need disability pay.

2 Likes

Honestly I don’t see anything wrong with being on disability as long as you make some side cash also. you can get a part time job and be on disability. It’s not a big deal. If you’re young and want to be married, whatever, do something with your hands, such as electrician, carpenter, or some other artistic work. I just got on disability and I have a small business so I’m 100% satisfied. Last year I was making 55K honestly I don’t even need it. Life is short.

4 Likes

I used to have that goal but I realized it’s too much for me. I’d rather be on disability and do a part-time job or something lighter.

It’s really ironic to have relapses from the effort of becoming better.

2 Likes

When I worked a 43 hour a week VISTA job I started getting into sleep aids and soon started taking Ambien and klonopin. So I associate working full time with slowly becoming addicted to sleep aids and benzos. Eventually the sleep effect of those drugs wore off and I added more melantonin, klonopin, benadryl, and l-thenine to the mix and eventually stopped sleeping altogether. I take a more rational drug combo prescribed by the doctor with nothing added and accept an average 6-7 hours of sleep as a success and do not care if I ever sleep 8 or more hours again. I also plan to work as a part time volunteer if I ever work again. If I worked a full schedule I would likely become unstable again so I have become content to not to try to go out on my own now.

2 Likes

I’ve said it before, I’d like to be a scientist, and that’s how I’d like to achieve my goal. If something else comes along that I’m well suited to and I enjoy then I’d also take that. cough model cough cough

1 Like

I dont think ill be able to get off disability til they invent something for lack of motivation

2 Likes

money isn’t meant to be enslaved

idk, its kind of a touchy subject with me, right now i am looking for certain work under 16 hrs through permitted work rules so that it wont affect any of my benefits , i dont think i could work full time doing anything but who knows.

im on a life time holiday

I trade shares and foreign exchange its taken a long time to learn also my partner supports me i dont qualify for disability because im in a relationship and we have an income my goal is to make loads of money not sure why just motivated to achieve a lot

1 Like

I would like to be off disability and rely on my own employment…but at the same time i have relapse and was grateful i had disability to survive on…so i would suggest you be smart and cover all the bases…start part time…save 3 to 6 months living expenses…than try full time…or try to be self employment

1 Like

I’m on disability, I would like to be off it, but my problem is anytime I’m under stress I relapse. And every job has stress. I also don’t have a large amount of working background, I spent most of my time in school and not on a payroll anywhere. Not to mention here in my city I think it’s almost impossible to get a decent job unless you know someone where you want to work.

My voices pick on me for being on disability, call me names like lazy, and moocher. Of course there are other times my voices tell me to hurt myself and I’d feel better…which I know isn’t true. Oh and the ones I love the most my voices picking on me for having voices. Then telling me it’s not a serious enough illness that I shouldn’t have to work even though it’s extremely distracting and I get severely depressed from the abuse of the voices…and the fact that I have something inside me that I can’t control makes me even more depressed…

1 Like

my goal use to be to get off of ssi but I am not so sure I can do that. I get stressed doing house chores.

1 Like

A diamond gets formed by pressure…i relate it too weight training…you have to stress the muscle for it to grow…i know it sounds like i’m playing down the issue but coming from experience with my disability

I just recently got off disability a few months ago. My doctor was hesitant, but supportive. It has been difficult adjusting to my new schedule, but overall I’m happier. My sense of self-worth has gone way up.

4 Likes