Which of these same things would sound not as bad when telling someone? psychosis or a psychotic disorder

i feel like if I were to say psychosis someone wouldn’t know what I am talking about but if I say psychotic disorder someone would think I am like a crazy psychopath on a rampage, I’m not diagnosed schizophrenic and i have been diagnosed with psychosis which i think will eventually change because psychosis is like a symptom of other disorders there is something causing the psychosis but i don’t really know what i would say in a situation where i have to say what is wrong with me without making myself seem like a bad guy like if i am talking to a doctor or therapist or authorities or anyone that i would have to tell and they ask why i am on medication.

In my opinion, psychosis sounds less…bold? I’m not sure how to explain it but it doesn’t sound as bad, but at the same time, I don’t trust much of anyone with saying that diagnosis, if I explained how it’s difficult to differentiate reality from what’s going on in my head, they might think the worse case scenario.
I wish you the best luck if you figure out a way to say it without being stigmatized!

1 Like

Yeah whether it’s Schizoaffective or Bipolar, I really suffer with psychosis.

1 Like

No matter what word you use, the stigma will be there. I used to say psychosis, but then I would go on to explain that I had hallucinations and delusional thoughts. People hear the “psycho” part and immediately think you’re a serial killer. So you have to explain further.

2 Likes

I would say psychosis doesn’t sound quite as bad to a lay person, considering most people confuse psychotic with psychopathic. But yeah, there is stigma associated with it, regardless of how you say it.

2 Likes

Unfortunately there’s a lot of stigma against the word root psycho, due to the term psychopath or how people will commonly call people acting “crazy” psychotic. So I think psychosis or psychotic hold equal amounts of stigma.