Where do I go?

If I think the root of all my issues is religion, and I can’t discuss it here. Where can I discuss it? I have no idea where to go. I mention it to my case manager and doctor, but they just listen. I never have any back and forth on it.

1 Like

what’s the problem with your religion?

1 Like

Can’t talk about it.

I am not sure where you can go.

After the psychosis, I cut out religion out of my life. It makes me deluded, makes no sense and my illness is heavily influenced by religion. Not going anywhere near it.

2 Likes

@TheBest - Have you thought of meeting with the spiritual care director at a hospital? When I was an inpatient the hospital pastors spent a lot of time visiting on the unit. They were very insightful and had a lot of formal education, as well.

@mermaid1 - My experience on this is similar to yours in some ways. I was advised by my last pdoc to be ‘careful’ with religion. Good advice.

4 Likes

I’ve met with a Chaplain before. I know what you are talking about. I guess I could go to a church to see a spiritual adviser, but I would really offend them with my beliefs.

I hope it goes well for you - @TheBest. Yes, this is why I stay away from the church; they’re easily offended, it seems. I’ve found the hospital chaplains to be more helpful because they experience a lot of life from a lot of different perspectives and usually don’t have a hidden agenda.

1 Like

What about going to a Unitarian universalist church and talking to the whatever they call themselves that’s in charge there? That way they’re not taking offence to a specific religion you’ve got issues with?

1 Like

I think you can talk about how the illness is related to the religion, but don’t talk about religious contents and beliefs.

For example in the past I’ve open threads on how the illness interferes with the ability to pray or to choose beliefs.
But if your problems are about the content of a religion you would need another forum or better talk to a well trained priest/pastor/imam/monk…

1 Like

This is precisely why we discourage posting about religion on the forum. It can be a triggering topic for many.

2 Likes

I’m not 100% on this, but in 12 step program to overcome alcohol don’t you have to accept God. Mental Illness is in the same ballpark I guess. Maybe there is something to it being a trigger.

There are tons of religious forums on the internet that you can find via a search. My situation revolves around religious content on a daily basis, I feel I have a lot of sorting out to do these days and religion can be pretty deep stuff that gets us to ask very difficult questions. Definitely don’t feel alone. Feel free to pm me if you wanna talk about it, I can’t promise I’m a guru or anything, just another fellow seeker. Take care.

2 Likes

I keep trying to private message people, but I don’t have that function because I’m new.

Ahh ok. I didn’t know that limitation. I’d suggest a religious forum if religion gets folks here too stirred up. There’s a lot of folks out there trying to sort those things out. Just test the information given with scripture if you’re on a judaeochristian mission. Lots of error out there, YouTube can drive me nuts sometimes haha. Take care :grinning:

1 Like

I will look into thanks @AchoirZenShip

There is many religious forums on net
Just google
"Religious"forum

2 Likes

I tried a religious forum. No replies yet. I really want to use a forum like this except with religion. All the religious forums I’ve found stink.

1 Like

The place to go to talk about religion is your pastor or priest. That’s what I do. I call up my Church on the phone and ask to speak to my priest and leave a message. A priest always calls me back and answers my questions. In your case, it may be a pastor.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.