When do you become unsuitable for therapy?

My attempts at therapy have been disastrous to say the least. The first two were short lived experiences with therapists who both adopted a “If you want to be a good person” stance rather see me as a person who struggled to cope with certain things because of life experiences. Basically they were self appointed moral judges and weren’t interested in helping me to cope better. I ditched both rather quickly.
The third person I saw for therapy of sorts was an untrained person assigned to me through the mental health resource centre. Though not openly moralising she was hyper critical and tended to see me in a negative light. Despite that I kept going and tried to engage with her.
Then I really opened up and in doing so inadvertently upset her religious sensibilities. She had previously dropped the bombshell that she was part of a small religious sect. Soon after I was told that she could no longer see me and not long after that I was told I was unsuitable for therapy.
In none of the cases was the breakdown in the therapeutic relationship in any way my fault.
Given that they were not in any way my fault I am wondering what criteria are used to decide a person is unsuitable.
I just wanted someone I could discuss my experiences with and hopefully find more effective ways of dealing with the effects of those experiences.

1 Like

YOU were “unsuitable” for therapy because SHE was part of a small specific religious sect???

I am so sorry you had to end up with bad therapist. Good ones usually leave their religions and “morals” at the door.

It so frustrating that it takes time to find a good fit.

IMO if you are seeking therapy you are suitable. But you need to go in with an open mind and be openly honest about what you want from therapy. Don’t give up. someone will be able to understand your need

2 Likes

I’m unsuitable for therapy I think. I have unusual beliefs coming out my ears. But they’re beliefs to me and I’m quite happy with them. I’d just end up defending my unusual beliefs.

Having said that, it sounds like what happened with your religious cult therapist. They had unusual beliefs and that ended up causing problems on their side.

Its just a matter of finding the right therapist - there are way too many incompetent therapists out there.

The Phd therapist Im seeing now, is not perfect, but she will do, at least she has been around and is not young and practicing.

Besides its difficult to find a half way decent therapist that accepts my insurance plan.

My advice to you would be to shop around for a competent therapist, one that is on the same page as yourself.

They are hard to find, but they do exist.

I think @Wave pretty squarely hit the nail on the head. There are sooo many incompetent therapists out there. I, too, have a restrictive insurance plan that makes me cringe when it comes to the cost of therapy. Some day I’m going to get off my ass and try to find a more comprehensive plan that doesn’t require $45/visit and a limit of 26 visits a year.

1 Like

I have had both good and bad therapist in the past. One of my first therapist asked me if I believe in God, his words the healing power of God. It made me uncomfortable. Other therapist got entirely too person and tried to tell me how to live my life. Making suggestions that I need to leave my fiancé and move back in with my parents.

I mostly find that with therapists that when I am doing badly they cannot do anything to help me. But when I’m doing good they have all kinds of suggestions.

1 Like

That is very difficult as I am reliant on getting therapy via the NHS. Going private would be too costly especially at a time when my benefits may well be drastically cut. If so there would be no way I could afford private therapy fees.

1 Like

See the Suitability for Psychotherapy Scale (SPS) at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23078208, though I wouldn’t say that most MA/MS-level psychotherapists would refer for it unless a prospective patient seems “iffy.”

The seven items are:

1. modulation of [meaning control over] affects [meaning emotions and reactions to sensations],

2. flexibility of interaction with the interviewer,

3. self-concept in relation to ego ideal [meaning how one compares oneself to what one believes he or she should be],

4. reflective ability [meaning ability to contemplate, consider and look into and at one’s thoughts, emotions and behaviors],

5. response to trial interpretation [meaning how one responds to initial interpretations of one’s thoughts, feelings and behavior by the therapist or testing psychologist],

6. motivation [“how bad… do you want it?”],

7. and the focality of the problems [how clearly does the patient understand his problems at the time of the interview?].

The SPS is typically administered by a clinical psychologist who is trained to do so and certified in its use. It is most commonly used by HMOs to decide if a patient is functional enough to be worth their financial investment. It is also used widely in some state prison prison systems.

1 Like

I’m guessing that suitability for therapy ends at death, and maybe not even then if certain religions are correct. The brain is an organic computer. It can have its programming altered throughout the course of its operation.

Pixel.

1 Like

Indeed. Hundreds of thousands of nerves, synaptic junctions and neural pathways can be altered over time with both medications (more quickly, but rather crudely and with more side effects) and psychotherapies (more slowly, but far more precisely, and with fewer side effects).

Google “neuroplasticity” to see what I mean.

Yes. Also, cortical remapping.

Pixel.

1 Like