When did schizophrenia first appear?

Deez is right, its because we do have advantageous genes correlated with our sz genes.

“How has schizophrenia evolved?”

“Our findings merely suggest that recent evolutionary modifications in brain circuitry in humans may have been one of the factors that have played a role in the development of the disorder in humans. This research supports the hypothesis that schizophrenia may be linked to evolutionary modifications in the human brain.”

3 Likes

Yeah, or he went through one of the ancestory sites, I ain’t got time for that.

1 Like

oops, this is what I meant to quote

Is there an evolutionary advantage of schizophrenia?

Studies have shown that some of the carriers for the schizophrenia gene may express adaptive benefits such as a decreased frequency of viral infections . Additional beneficial traits may include a higher IQ, increased creativity, and mathematical reasoning.

2 Likes

Whatever the case it is here to stay do a we discover we need it or destroy it thank you for your time doctors

We need it destroyed, hopefully through genetic modification, or whatever the right terminology is for that.

We are in supported to this thing so that we have to decide whether it helps Humanity or whether it’s a curse for Humanity

I see, what is your take on it @DrZen?

from what I have learned I think a future solution would be a mixture of understanding the Genes responsible for the risk factors and negative aspects–such as tissue damage, loss of gray matter, (loss of grey matter may be responsible for auditory hallucinations as often occur in same region responsible for processing sounds) repairing the nerves–neuron–tissue regeneration, or blocking the deterioration of the tissue responsible…

the solution would be to target the genes responsible for the worst aspects…or to mediate–a cure for the effects without Gene editing, because Im not sure how effective gene editing is yet or will be in preventing those types of illness like MS, CMT, Parkinson’s…inflammation…I dont think you can fully delete Genes to prevent them, but could study these diseases learn to understand them and eventually reverse, cure or prevent them from getting worse?

It would be a lot of work, say you knew your child had a 84 percent risk of developing schizophrenia, did the DNA test and found had the genes responsible after they were born–started some type of therapies that would reverse or minimize the damage, carefully monitoring that they did not lose tissue, brain matter, maybe stem-cell type research…

1 Like

Science has come such a long way–you could probably engineer a virus that would be capable of interfering with the code in such a way it would prevent the degenerative illness entirely…but thats basically engineering someone’s DNA it would need to be done in a preventative way, and competitive genes are important to humanity’s survival I just wonder once we figure out how to Engineer people’s Genome that would be a whole can of worms, like …it would be a lot of moral questions to ask–should we see people differently who are born with disability what would it cost to eliminate disability before they get worse or pre-natal? Its a lot to consider if science is even ready to take on these challenges, but if you can cure cancer, prevent HIV prevent cancer prevent chronic diseases like sickle cell anemia man I am 100 percent all for helping humanity achieve that.

1 Like

How in the world did you guys get so intelligent

2 Likes

No wonder Mathematicians seem to be afflicted with psychosis a lot.

Nash, Godel, Newton etc were all psychotic at some point in their lives.

3 Likes

I didn’t know Newton was ever psychotic. Care to show us the source?

1 Like

appi.ajp.157.3.444 (psychiatryonline.org)

1 Like

This is what I have wondered, given that someone with schizophrenia is generally not a more viable mate than someone without. Simply put. Not only that but it attacks at the very same time that people are hitting their stride.

2 Likes

I’ve posted this before, I think that this is what often happened to people with schizophrenia.

2 Likes

Via 23andMre.

You have Neanderthal DNA that may influence your traits

This report highlights associations between your Neanderthal variants and your traits, but it does not explore how other factors may be involved — such as your many other DNA variants, your environment, or your lifestyle.

You have one variant associated with having a worse sense of direction.

My sense of direction is indeed poor.

3 Likes

Probably in the caveman days.
Its been recorded in biblical times under a different name…

2 Likes

Most sz is druginduced i thought, not much to do with genes and dna. Maybe a dysfunctional family.

I never did drugs and I only got drunk twice in my whole life. Yet here I am.
Drug-induced psychosis is a separate condition. It is transient. Some studies suggest hallucinogenic drugs might speed up the onset of schizophrenia, but they’re not the root cause.

Also, my childhood was happy and uneventful. No trauma involved.

3 Likes

thats a common misconception…I have had a functional fam. and never used anything prior to my diagnosis and prior to college as an adult…if I hadnt had schizophrenia I prob never would have used in the first place to try and escape this illness…it is linked to that…I dont think drug-abuse is the main cause but some people do have drug-induced psychosis, I didnt know it could cause chronic schizophrenia.

2 Likes