What's your secret to making it this far?

Medicine waiting to be zapped

1 Like

Jesus kept me alive I would have committed suicide already otherwise. Also having a supporting my family, supportive doctors, and taking Meds that didn’t cause me to gain 600 pounds and took away the voices

1 Like

I start a new job for about one month and I am not sure if I can work stable. I try it for my family. My parents help me to take care of kids, my husband earn money to afford all expenses, I don’t want to be a burden to them.Just hope I can be a lucky one and can stable work for about 20 years

3 Likes

love of family is a big factor…I don’t think I could have made it this far without the love of my family and friends…finding hope kept me from being suicidal. that was when I got a new med other than risperdal back then…now I just keep thinking of better days to come.

3 Likes

My great luck in having a language center of my brain that’s hard to knock out. I can be floridly psychotic and still be able to communicate. My therapist told me most sz’s don’t have such articulateness. So I’d say it’s owing to nature and nurture over which ultimately I am not to credit. If I said I was clever, then luck or chance handed out the brains. Yes it is luck. Thank you.

3 Likes

My secret is that I’ve always had other people who were even worse off depending on me. I might have given up on myself, but I couldn’t give up on them.

Also, I have above-average social skills that make other people want to go out of their way to help me out when I need it.

3 Likes

escapism

my writing has given me a positive idenity

1 Like

I agree. I literally run about 7-12 miles every day bout 6 times a week. It’s the only way my mind can kinda feel aligned and as if I did before I got sick. It’s my dose or normalcy.

Exercise, recreational drugs, my stubborness, and my parents are why I made it this far and haven’t offed myself :/.

2 Likes

Omg I do the same thing and that last photo was one I saved as well :joy:

I’m similar. Even at my worst in my twenties during the 1980’s when I was psychotic and making the rounds of hospitals and group homes, I made perfect sense when I talked. People couldn’t tell I was schizophrenic or mentally ill from talking with me. And I rarely told anyone but my family my delusions.

4 Likes

I hate losing bets. I bet my friend $5.00 when I was twenty that I would live to see 60.
I’m not about to lose that bet.

5 Likes

Hi there. I was able to do “word salad,” but could control it, turn it on and off. Also I had trouble with reading comprehension just after being diagnosed, say, from winter 1992 to winter 1994: man, 2 years. A long time. I had to teach myself to read again. Nobody really knew what a struggle I had. I went back to college to finish my last six credits and graduated. So, I should say I’ve had my share of verbal challenges as well.

1 Like

Doctors and family didn’t tell me what I COULDN’T do. They told me what I COULD do.

2 Likes

My support system has been a huge help in keeping me going when I otherwise didn’t have any reason to want to be alive

3 Likes

That’s good @anon20742722 .
I exercise aerobically on an indoor rower and on an elliptical trainer with a high resistance setting.
I also do strength training.
I am glad that you are exercising, it is very important.

Getting up each day and doing what I need to do. I can let everything go some days, but usually there’s something I must do, so I do it. One step at a time. The day’s, months and years go by and I find I improve in some ways day by day.

4 Likes

Wish I was like this…

!5 characters…

1 Like

My will to survive, and the ability to ask for help when I’ve needed it.
I have a good network of supportive people, and I have the insight to know when I can no longer get by on my own.

1 Like

Supportive loved ones and the right meds.

2 Likes