What's your secret to making it this far?

All the way! You can do it!
Heck, I’ve had schizophrenia since I was 19 and I’m 57 now.
On paper my chances for surviving were slim to none. Now I’m looking back on working almost steadily since I was 22, living independently from 1995 to 2015, owning and driving cars since 1997 and I need only 5 more classes for my degree. I’m not particularly strong, I’m average looking, rather shy in most situations, I’m only likable to certain people (yet to more people than I think) Yet, even after being diagnosed I’ve flown across the country a few times, went water-skiing for the first time, been to comedy clubs, clubs, too many restaurants to count, gambled in Las Vegas and Reno, attended my sisters wedding, attended my dads wedding, etc.

No matter how bleak things look there is always hope. No one could have predicted I would ever get anything out of life, I was severely, severely ill. But I took my medication, I attended the support groups, the vocational programs, the day programs, family group therapy, saw the therapists and psychiatrists etc. And things turned out relatively all right. Just keep going, keep an open mind, let people help you. You might have to do things for your recovery that you dislike or even hate now, but it will pay off later. Good luck. Never say never.

18 Likes

Honestly my family mostly my son kept me going when it was really bad. When I got sick he was in high school and I said to myself I have to get him through high school so I kept working and I fought my medical discharge from the military and continued to work.

When he graduated I wanted to quit so bad but then he enrolled in college. I had two mortgage payments. I kept working.

Then I got my VA disability and SSDI and finally found the right meds. Now I am trying to go back to work. It never ends. I could just enjoy the rest of my life if I wanted to and didn’t have anhedonia so bad.

6 Likes

Just plain perseverance. I’ve come very close to completely giving up and ending my life, but I always push forward.

6 Likes

definitely going to have to say luck

1 Like

What do u mean, ‘this far”. Life became untollerable to me. I’ve managed to live in that condition. The secret isnt how, u just do, cuz gods not gonna kill u for free or he’d show some mercy. I guess that mercy is the secret to ‘this far”.

3 Likes

My secret is being too chicken to do myself in. And also being blessed by Providence. I should have died by suicide or car accident long ago.

2 Likes

My sense of humor. But that comes and goes these days.

2 Likes

At this point I really do just take it day by day.

2 Likes

Uhhh ability to COMPLETELY DISSOCIATE my internal experience from outer so that I can be going through horrific horrific things internally but sort of just switch gears and pretend like none of it happened. Another form of dissociation as well where my consciousness seemed to split into a group of different individuals some of which were deeply loving, supportive and wise that guided me. Intelligence that allowed me to basically become my own therapist for quite a while and perform self experimentation and research to find what improved my symptoms and what made them worse. Boundless optimism. Powerful love for my family. Plain ole determination to survive and kick ass.

3 Likes

I didn’t understand the question :confused:

1 Like

Support from my parents, luck, and effort on my part.
I am not only alive, but also rather fit, especially aerobically and lead a rather active lifestyle.

5 Likes

I’ve had help from others. If it wasn’t for others helping me I would’ve been dead and gone decades ago. I’ve also been figuring out how to live better in all kinds of ways.

7 Likes

To keep on starting again
start over and over
I guess it takes courage for all of us

2 Likes

Luck and having the capacity to educate myself on mental illness and recovery… Considering two of my 4 meds were my decision.

My 4 meds are miracle to me. Without 1 of them I wouldn’t have any comfort. As long as I take all 4 I feel great!!

The meds have got me past the most difficult years of my life into the next stage of my life. And a lot of that is because of my education on recovery.

2 Likes

What meds are you on?

Abilify 20 mg
Zoloft 50 mg
Klonopin .25 every other day
And
Naltrexone 25 mg

Surprisingly even though naltrexone is meant for alcohol and opioid addiction…it has helped my anxiety and thinking a lot too. And the others interact with each other too.

1 Like

Certainly not skill.

1 Like

My secret is to never get the idea that you’ve made it.

4 Likes

Very good.1515151515

1 Like

Intuition and deduction my dear boy. And personal power which is sort of like being lucky.

2 Likes