What's your opinion on people who self-medicate?

I personally met quite a few people online who claim to treat their mental illness with supplements and no longer see a psychiatrist. I potentially think this is quite dangerous, considering medical experts are not even supposed to self-medicate theirselves.

3 Likes

I think it’s best to follow medical guidance for treatment and that includes clearing your supplement use with a doctor beforehand.

7 Likes

I tend not to bother arguing with them. Usually once they have made that decision, they stick to it. All of use self-medicate to a degree anyway, be it that coffee expresso in the morning or the ciggie after lunch.

You simply cannot beat seeing a qualified doctor tho. Some supplements simply do not work with some of our meds.

4 Likes

I used to self-medicate before when my psychosis was at peak and would not listen to even a qualified and well to do pdoc. I was constantly fighting not taking meds. I used to feel there was no improvement in taking meds which was right to some extent. As I had a different issue going on. Now I am following the guidelines and trying to follow what experts have to say and be happy with it. No matter how tough it is I am trying to learn about the illness and not assuming things.

5 Likes

100% have to agree with self-medication in concept, but with caveat that it should not be done with anything but traditional foodstuff. Amything chemical should have advanced knowledge.

2 Likes

Self medication is a myth so smoking, drinking or doing drugs will only make matters worse

2 Likes

I understand why people self-medicate because the regular meds don’t always work and they get desperate. Some of those drugs and supplements like you say can lead to more problems. However I occasionally notice that former street drugs are now prescriptions in some cases.

2 Likes

I think they should be consulting a doctor instead. Self medication is very dangerous. Especially for people with mental illness. Besides some supplements interact with each other. Not a good idea.

The pdoc had been through many years of schooling to make sure people have the proper treatments, I trust that more than some google searches alone.

4 Likes

Btw I meant the people who try to treat schizophrenia with essential oils and lemon juice.

A cup of coffee to wake up in the morning is fine. Cigarettes aren’t great but I understand why people smoke them. Alcohol though I think should be avoided by people taking psychotropic drugs in general. But again I understand a night out with friends where drinking is expected. Just be careful out there with those kinds of things.

1 Like

Hardly. Self-medication is well-established and is documented in medical literature. It’s just not a healthy thing to do. I also think it is better to limit opinions to the act of self-medication and not judge people who self-medicate as they are usually doing it because they are unhealthy and often not fully in control of their minds or actions.

2 Likes

I think everyone’s trying their best and I don’t want to judge.

3 Likes

Honestly I resent the fact that I was labeled a “druggie” by a few ER doctors just because of my schizoaffective diagnosis.
I don’t touch illicit drugs or alcohol.
Not happy

2 Likes

Wave just like you some doctors thought I was a druggy but that was because I had sleep pattern where I was awake for 30+ hours because of an antipsychotics I was prescribed for 20 years. Now 13 months after I quit that toxic pill from the company Pfifzer I sleep after 16 hours thanks to the company Astrasenica that makes a very good relaxing pill.

2 Likes

Sometimes if life is too hellish I can understand that people need it. I’ve done so myself in the past. It seemed like the only option at the time.

1 Like

AOD and trauma informed practice that is not based on 12 step/absence based, often views self medication as a necessary coping mechanism to survive. It just turns maladaptive after long periods of time.

I have no doubt that plenty of people have gone out for a drink with friends that has genuinely cheered them up and helped them to put things in perspective. It’s just about your ability to stay away from habitual use, to have a basket of things which support you and to leave that experience to where it was helpful. Unfortunately people more often then not repeat the same unhelpful pattern.

For example a society free for alcohol isn’t necessarily a better one. The issue is that it needs to be regulated in a way that protects people from themselves which in basically in all developed societies there isn’t a culture that encourages harm minimisation and safe consumption of substance.

Self mediation is inherently fought with danger and bias. The fish wasn’t the one who discovered water ect

2 Likes

I think it’s about time to close this thread.

I think self medicating without talking to a doctor to make sure that you arent going to cause more harm than good, is a bad idea.

I think at this point some of the opinions in this thread are starting to undermine responsible decisions and those in the best interests of people.

I just feel it’s run its course and should be closed.

3 Likes