What's your latest accomplishment

Just a topic I thought I’d like to start, even if they are small accomplishments I’d like to hear about them it might help motivate the rest of us to do something.

3 Likes

Today mine is writing a large scene for my story. I really like it. It’s a bit long to share though 2394 words.debating if I want to break it into two scenes or leave it at one. I think it would break the flow of the scene if I split it up. As for tonight I’m leaving it as it is. I’ll look at it either tomorrow or Sunday.

5 Likes

Just work. Driving home through traffic. Driving through Taco Bell for a DIET Coke. Putting away my groceries after I had them delivered. Baking a bunch of chicken legs to last me a couple days. Cooking a new dish. I made “Curry hard-boiled eggs”. Saying “hi” to a neighbor.

6 Likes

i guess going to the dentist, and i have booked in to get my chip done, it has taken me 26 years to do this…
my teeth are gleaming, the sun shone on them the other day, and they nearly blinded mrs. sith…lol.
take care

5 Likes

It’s a relief isn’t it darksith?

1 Like

I was wondering how did you depict the scenery in 2394 words? I had a dream of becoming a writer but I know my level is far from that. I thought about it seriously by reading some famous writer’s works and then making comparisons between them and my literary skills.

I just read two texts of an English text book, made some notes about the pronunciation and grammar. And did some cleaning to my bedrooms. Cooked a big meal. Very routine.

2 Likes

The Scenery wasn’t exactly a huge role in the scene. I mentioned it was night time, clear skies, they were in the country, and the Moon was in an orbit around the Earth where it reaches the closest to the Earth in it’s orbit. But all that is done through a conversation of the characters who are performing a kind of circle casting because of that specific reason. As for the specific word counting my software program tells me both the specific word target for the entire novel and the specific words in a given scene. Most of the words in this scene are a bit of the back story on one of the characters.

To me a Scene is a part in the chapter when something happens, or changes, or causes some kind of conflict. I use a software called Scrivener which lets you create a separate page for every scene you write. I take those separate pages during the outlining phases and place them into chapters based on the level of conflict and tension in them. It’s like creating a separate word document for each section you write, but keeps it better organized, at least in my opinion. It’s not free but does offer a free trial.

here’s a clip from the story:

Lilith looked at the large moon overhead, “Do you see the beauty in that moon? The Goddess has blessed us this season with three full moons, and there is one more before the summer is over. This beautiful masterpiece above us is perfectly round, and called a blue moon. Not to mention that I read somewhere this moon is the closest to the Earth as it has been all year, so it is called a Super Full Moon by some.”

Nixie just looked blankly at Lilith, she was never very good with astrology, “You lost me.”

“It’s rare, and considering we worship the Goddess Lilith who happens to be a moon Goddess I thought tonight of all nights would be a great night to try and communicate with her! I’ve been waiting for this night all summer.”

“I don’t know I prefer the Summer Solstice,” Nixie said her voice was soft as she spoke over her glass.

Lilith rolled her eyes at her friend, “That happens every year, this is a rare occurrence! At least from what I’ve been told by my friend at the University. Anyway let’s not argue and ruin the mood of the night. Let’s get the circle casted around the stone Phoenix created, Spider can you come over here?” She motioned for him to come towards them.

Another good accomplishment today…just stayed alive…I guess considering how I’ve felt for a while that’s something to be proud of.

2 Likes

Haha!! That is so true!!!

About myself. Well i got work and it lasted only a week cuz my back pain was killing me… it’s sad cuz I need the money, oh well…I’ll manage. Though one thing is that my first year in college is done and proud of it. :slight_smile: I know I’m lazy I could have had better grades, oh well… we live we learn.

2 Likes

My latest accomplishment is coming down with a case of shingles, and not having any complications from it. My body, along with the help of medicine, fought off the virus, and it’s looking better and better every day. It’s no longer painful to the touch either. I know a lot of elderly people get the shingles and end up in the hospital, so I’m glad to get it while I’m young and my immune system is in good shape. This means I won’t get it when I’m elderly too. It’s been a real easy illness to fight off. No real symptoms other than the rashes, but they don’t itch or burn or anything. I’m happy because my doctor said it’s almost gone, and I’m in the final stages of the disease.

4 Likes

Congrats for your overcoming the shingles, alien99. It’s difficult to cope with and it usually lasts long.

@green5, Thank you. The virus usually sticks around for 4 or 5 weeks if left untreated. I caught it in the first 72 hours, and my doctor said that is what made my prognosis so good. I caught it early and got into treatment. I’ve been on meds for about 4 days now, and I’ve got another 6 to go. I have to take the medicine 5 times a day. The rashes are fading quickly. :smiley:

1 Like

@anon40540444 Sorry you came down with the shingles, glad you got over them quickly with little discomfort. Glad you caught it early and didn’t have to suffer. Very lucky for that good immune system.

My biggest accomplishment recently was getting through the 4th of July without having my normal off the hook episode. I even managed to get on an airplane, go to a wedding and come home and still not have that tip me over the edge on the 4th.

The next two things I’m trying to accomplish… I’m making a neckless for my kid sister for her 18th birthday… and I’m working with two of my brothers to give our sis a blow-out of a birthday party. Due to events of the past, the entire family sort of forgot her 16th and 17th birthday completely. She’ll be 18 in only 9 days. July 21st.

3 Likes

Not killing myself.
Seriously.

6 Likes

I think my greatest achievement recently was to complete 2 weeks worth of continuing medical education necessary to keep my nursing license current.

I took a chemical dependency counseling course and re-certified in Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support. Both were very hard on me, as I usually have months to complete them–not just 2 weeks.

Other than that, I’ve been overcoming my paranoia a little and going for 5 mile walks around the neighborhood. Plus, I’ve even gone into the grocery store a few times when it hasn’t been busy.

I think I’m most proud and thankful for overcoming my paranoia :slight_smile:

Blessings,

Anthony

6 Likes

I remember when you were doing the testing. I didn’t know you managed all that in just two weeks. :thumbsup: Wow.

Congratulation’s with getting to the market more and getting out more. You are making huge strides. (no pun intended… 5 mile walk… huge strides?) Oh dear… it’s time to cut the coffee.

Hahaha! Thanks for the laugh, James. I love your over-caffinated humor!

Blessings,

Anthony

It sounds like everyone is really accomplishing a lot. Congrats guys!! I’ve been really struggling with motivation since coming down on the Seroquel. It’s been a struggle to do things, even things I enjoy. I seem to only want to sit in front of the computer, smoking. This past Wednesday I had an assignment due, and was struggling to even start it. It was due by 1am and I got it in a couple of hours before midnight. This illness seems to attack from all sides. Wow! I’ll get through though. I’m seeing pdoc this coming week so I’m hopeful. :sunny:

3 Likes

About 2 months ago I finished developing an Android application that I’ve been dreaming about for about 20 years (although the Android operating system didn’t exist back then). I’ve been using the android application to improve my life a bit in the past 2 months, and I believe that it is working. Now, if I can just market it, or an improved version of it effectively, maybe I’ll get a little income off of it. After 20 years, it was quite satisfying to get that accomplished.

5 Likes

Send me the app! I’ve been wanting to get into building Android applications, but never can seem to get around to it.

My biggest accomplishment is just letting go. Simply, just simply letting go. I have the say Vitamin B12 really helps tho :smile:

5 Likes