Schizophrenia.com

What's the PRN?

A fifty year old man in my circle takes conscientious care of his depression-centered mood swing stuff. Specifically, he’s into regular exercise and hopes to make sleeping and eating as healthy as possible given his inclinations and abilities. He also has a relationship with a doctor who treats him with medications for depression, mainly.

Now, for three days running, he is in depression; he asks me, “What’s a PRN for my current situation?”

Folks help me out with an answer to this fellow!

Jayster

0 Likes

What does "as needed" mean?

sorry would like too help yet i am not a doctor

0 Likes

You know, some one put that in a post to me as a reply and I have to admit, I was too embarrassed and confused to ask what the heck that meant.

Thank you for asking this…

0 Likes

It means “As Needed.”

0 Likes

PRN stands for Per Required Need.

0 Likes

My son is usually trying to get prescribed PRN’s. I think most of the ones that end with pam. Lorazepam, Clonazepam and Valium (Diazepam) can be prescribed for fast acting as needed relief.

0 Likes

BarbieBF, all meds that end in pam or lam are benzodiazepines. They can be taken PRN or as part of a regimen. Some users here believe Klonopin (clonazepam) can help sz. That has not been my experience, however.

1 Like

Thank you :smile: I was thinking they were benzo’s but I wasn’t sure.

0 Likes

If I asked, “What is the vitamin deficiency that causes scurvy?” I wouldn’t expect to read a discussion on what vitamin deficiency means. Similarly, when I ask, “What is a PRN for this man’s depression?” I don’t expect a discussion of what PRN means. I lament that I am so difficult to understand. It is so frustrating to me that I cannot have discussion with people because of the way I write.

Incidentally, one of my readers who is prone to depression herself responded that the man should get laid, under full spectrum light.

Jayster

1 Like

Pro re nata

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pro re nata is a Latin phrase meaning in the circumstances or as the circumstance arises.[1] It is commonly used in medicine to mean as needed or as the situation arises. It is generally abbreviated to p.r.n. in reference to dosage of prescribed medication that is not scheduled; instead, the decision of when to administer the drug is left to the nurse, caregiver or the patient’s prerogative.[2] Such administration of medication is not meant to imply, and should never allow for, exceeding a given daily dosage.

0 Likes