What's the PRN?

A fifty year old man in my circle takes conscientious care of his depression-centered mood swing stuff. Specifically, he’s into regular exercise and hopes to make sleeping and eating as healthy as possible given his inclinations and abilities. He also has a relationship with a doctor who treats him with medications for depression, mainly.

Now, for three days running, he is in depression; he asks me, “What’s a PRN for my current situation?”

Folks help me out with an answer to this fellow!

Jayster

sorry would like too help yet i am not a doctor

You know, some one put that in a post to me as a reply and I have to admit, I was too embarrassed and confused to ask what the heck that meant.

Thank you for asking this…

It means “As Needed.”

PRN stands for Per Required Need.

My son is usually trying to get prescribed PRN’s. I think most of the ones that end with pam. Lorazepam, Clonazepam and Valium (Diazepam) can be prescribed for fast acting as needed relief.

BarbieBF, all meds that end in pam or lam are benzodiazepines. They can be taken PRN or as part of a regimen. Some users here believe Klonopin (clonazepam) can help sz. That has not been my experience, however.

1 Like

Thank you :smile: I was thinking they were benzo’s but I wasn’t sure.

If I asked, “What is the vitamin deficiency that causes scurvy?” I wouldn’t expect to read a discussion on what vitamin deficiency means. Similarly, when I ask, “What is a PRN for this man’s depression?” I don’t expect a discussion of what PRN means. I lament that I am so difficult to understand. It is so frustrating to me that I cannot have discussion with people because of the way I write.

Incidentally, one of my readers who is prone to depression herself responded that the man should get laid, under full spectrum light.

Jayster

1 Like

Pro re nata

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pro re nata is a Latin phrase meaning in the circumstances or as the circumstance arises.[1] It is commonly used in medicine to mean as needed or as the situation arises. It is generally abbreviated to p.r.n. in reference to dosage of prescribed medication that is not scheduled; instead, the decision of when to administer the drug is left to the nurse, caregiver or the patient’s prerogative.[2] Such administration of medication is not meant to imply, and should never allow for, exceeding a given daily dosage.