What's the point of dating with this illness

This topic comes up a lot. I’m sorry that you’re feeling hurt.

If there are any women out there who have a fetish for lonely male schizophrenics they would have a heyday on this site!

4 Likes

I suggest you get them as soon as possible. It can take some time for them to start working. You may be well back into school before you see their full effect.

3 Likes

It tends to work over night for me but yeah I’m thinking I’m going to talk to.my therapist tomorrow about going in patient.

5 Likes

That’s great you are going to talk to your treatment team.

Hope the pill form of Abilify helps you.

2 Likes

We intentionally keep those types away because usually the reason they have that fetish is so they can abuse and control their partners and then turn arouns and blame their illness. It’s even in the rules because it used to be a big problem.

6 Likes

This happened to me.

She said in court I had homicidal ideation of her because of my sza.

Which is completely untrue.

2 Likes

My wife has stuck with me through symptoms, although she has made it clear after the last fiasco that I will NOT ever go off meds again without talking to her about it first. That was a screw up that’s all on me.

2 Likes

I’m really amazed that so many SZ here are happily coupled up. I know symptom wise I have an easier time of it than most, but I’ve been very single most of my life. I’m happy for you all though, just wish I could be happy for me too. Like someone said, need to work on myself first.

2 Likes

Yikes! That’s pretty creepy. Thank you mod squad for keeping us dudes safe!

3 Likes

I think you need to focus on getting your sz/sza under control first. To bring a partner into a relationship with an actively psychotic person is a recipe for failure of the relationship, and will in turn increase your stress load. I know how hard it is being lonely. I worked very hard on myself and my situation, and it paid off. We’ve been married 11.5 years now, and I’d give up anything to keep her. I’ve had my rough patches, but as long as I have remained communicative with her, which is all she asks, she’s been amazing at helping me get to the next step. You’re not hopeless. The fact that you’re out in society is prima facia proof you’re not hopeless.

1 Like

I don’t really like the sentiment that we must be well to find love. That’s unrealistic honestly for me. If I waited around to be stable (and for how long?) I wouldn’t get to date much. So far none of my delusions have included partner.the only way they’re affected is by worrying about me.

1 Like

And how’s that going for you?

This seems fair to you?

I only said “under control.” Just a few days ago you were melting down here. And that’s okay, we’ve all melted down on here at one point or another (or most of us have, at least). I’m only offering you what is the best advice I can offer. I’m sorry if it’s not helpful, it’s just my viewpoint. We’re all different and have different approaches. Good luck in your quest. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I gave up finding anyone when I first got ill. What’s the point?

1 Like

In the last 20 years I’ve had one woman that was willing to date me while knowing I had schizophrenia but that didn’t work out cause she was immature and we had nothing in common.

Even my ex gf, who knows me well, called me up to hook up after like 20 years. I told her I had been diagnosed with schizophrenia a few years after we had broken up. I never heard from her again.

If a girl that knows me and wanted to hook up is freaked out about schizophrenia and only one other girl was willing to date me in the last 20 years. I don’t hold out much hope for a relationship.

I think it’s not about being well, but about being resilient. I don’t want my future mrs Beep to be walking on eggshells around me, so I need to be able to handle a few bumps and bruises.

2 Likes

If you find someone to talk too better than the voices it’s an improvement.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.