What's the best med/remedy for TD?

I’ve been having TD symptoms(mouth twitching and hand tremors) for about 8 months from taking Invega. My doc tried me on this new med Austeddo but it doesn’t appear to be working. Does anyone take anything else? Any recommendations?

I take trihexaphynidyl. Muscle relaxant.

I take Benztropine for tremors and akathisia, it works in about 20min. I had eyelid tremors and akathisia before taking Benztropine.

You need to wait 30min for movement disorders meds to work. When did you take Austeddo? You might also need a higher dose, tell your pdr its not working. I take 2-4mg Benztropine and it works in about 20min.

I used to take Bentropine but my psych doc thought Austeddo would work better. I’ve tried all strengths 6 mg, 9 mg, and 12 mg. Maybe I should go back to the Bentropine. It controlled the hand tremors, but I also need something that will control the mouth twitching/smacking.

Benztropine didn’t stop mouth twitching? Which dose?

Oolaloola, do you have TD too? If so, what are your symptoms?

1 Like

I only had mouth twitching once while on Risperdal after drinking too much coffee. I suggest you stop or reduce caffeine.

There’s a new med called Ingrezza you could bring up with your pdoc. It’s new which means expensive, but if you’re taking Austedo, it probably wouldn’t be an issue. Ingrezza is the brand name, valbenazine is the chemical name. I have not tried it, just know that it was hailed as a breakthrough treatment when approved. I’ve heard positive reports from folks who have taken it.

Hope this helps.

Muscle spasms in my neck, difficulty swallowing, tremors and pain. I used to be on benztropine, but now on trihex.

I have a friend whose TD got way better when they switched from Haldol to Clozapine