Whats it like in the USA for getting benefits?

Here in the UK you have to reapply every 2 to 3 years. The longer your out of the hospital the harder it is to get benefits. It wasn’t always like this but it is now

Depends on the circumstances. Some people get permanent disability status here, even those with mental illness dx’s. But they are the exception, not the rule. Most US citizens with mental health problems are re-evaluated every several years.

1 Like

I get re-evaluated for disability every 4-5 years.

The really sad thing is that here in the US benefits for ANYBODY are eventually Going to stop…common sense would suggest that it just is not sustainable to support people that aren’t contributing in anyway.

I can’t get benefits and I am in the UK. I struggle with work a lot and struggle with keeping a job too.

If I had to get a job I would have no choice but to get off my med’s. I’m not fast enough to work fast food, so that leaves physical labor as the only type of job I can get. To do physical labor you have to be able to work out in the weather. I can’t do that when I am on med’s.

In Canada I’ve been on disability for 9 years without a review. When I attended school I had to switch over to loans and bursaries for studies, but this time around I’m going back to college and they’re making me keep my benefits with a 256$ bonus per month. So happy about that. My goal is to some day be well-paid enough so that making the switch to a salary is worth it.

I feel the same way. I’m really struggling day to day and I have no responsibilities. Like right now I just feel awful.