What's harder, active positives, or negatives?

Which is harder to live with? Active psychotic symptoms or the negatives from the sz and meds?

• Positives (active, not controlled by meds)
  • Negatives
  • I don’t have sz/sza

0 voters

3 Likes

For me, nothing is worse than being off meds for too long and the endless voices. I can only deal with it so long before I get caught up in all of it. It just snowballs into self-destructive and self-defeating behavior, a painful loss of control over my thinking, and all the misery that goes with that.

1 Like

Sure neggie…:world_map::kaaba::kaaba::houses::cityscape::office::office:

1 Like

Negs have killed me more than anything else. The active psychosis, for me, isn’t as bad as the negative symptoms but is still present, you know?

2 Likes

Being ineffectively medicated is the worst for me. All the negatives and side effects from the meds but still having voices and delusions and paranoia, just to a lesser extent. Doctor’s like to say they’re just breakthrough symptoms and it’s fine, but it’s not fine. It’s miserable.

Give me all the negatives and none of the positives and I’d be content. I’ve already got the negatives and I have learned how to live with them. I haven’t learned how to live with positives.

2 Likes

For me when i have positive symptoms there worse than having negatives but overall i think the negatives are worse because they go on longer.

1 Like

I was reading about schizophrenia simplex and came across a thing that said levodopa could help with some of the symptoms. Have you tried it?

2 Likes

It’s hard to say. The side effects I’ve gotten from antisychotics, in particular akathisia, have been really, really bad! The psychiatrists would take akathisia more seriously if they had experienced it themselves.

1 Like

Whatz that…!!! Supplement…???

It probably won’t help everyone, but I found propranolol to be helpful with akathesia. Ask your doctor, maybe it could help.

1 Like

No, it’s a med commonly used to treat Parkinson’s.

1 Like

I might try it soon…!!!

1 Like

If you are referring to me, I have tried cogentin, artane and benzodiazepines for akathisia in the past. They are useless! They didn’t help at all. The only thing that works is prevention. I don’t have akathisia at the moment fortunately.

2 Likes

Can’t hurt to at least look into it!

1 Like

Have you tried magnesium? That’s what works best for me. 500-1000mg of magnesium. Usually I take it at night because that’s when it bothers me the most. But I’ve also taken 500 during the day and another 500 right before bed.

2 Likes

It has crossed my mind to take magnesium, but I don’t like taking supplements anymore. Like I said, I’m not dealing with akathisia anymore. I hope it stays that way!

3 Likes

The negatives. I can deal with spirits. I cant deal with not being able to do basic â– â– â– â– .

1 Like

I couldn’t find anything before propranolol to help with akathesia. Cogentin and Benedryl didn’t help. But propranolol did work for me and it was a breakthrough, akathesia was one of the reasons I refused meds at times.
Cogentin never did much for me.
Benedryl worked to calm my muscles down when I had dystonic reactions.
I’m sorry you had such a difficult time with your akathesia in the past and the meds you used to try to calm it. But it’s great that you aren’t experiencing akathesia any more. Wish you the best @Prophet.

1 Like

I don’t believe propranolol is used in Australia. I looked it up years ago when I first got akathisia. I refuse to take medication to treat akathisia. It would just be masking the problem. It has never worked for me anyway. The real solution is to lower the dose or switch to an antipsychotic with a lower risk. Thank you for the suggestion though.

1 Like

Negatives. Meds are pretty good for positives for most.

Years ago people here complained about positives to getting well. These days most punters are complaining about negatives. It’s just the modern schizophrenic dilemma!

It’s interesting to me. Years ago we were looking for meds. These days there’s a big push for supplements. Whether they are any good is a moot point but people expect some help there!

1 Like