What's a piece of advice you would give your self 10 years ago?

Just remembered 10 years ago was 2007…

Punch yourself in the face

1 Like

i got another set of advice i would give myself. don’t date him even if you think you like him don’t deny who you are to make others comfortable around you.

1 Like

Dont do drugs…

3 Likes

Would you be able to provide evidence for your claim?

1 Like

I’m not buying this guys story. My IQ is high and there was nothing I could do to prevent the onset.
I find this offfensive

3 Likes

Tell your parents.

I had psychotic symptoms at a young age but never revealed this to my parents until I was 12 years old and in a considerably poor mental state.

Lmao at your new title :joy::joy:

That study even admits that the more likely factor is exposure to trauma and such, which have the side effect of sometimes lowering IQ. So, it seems to be a case of mistaking correlation for causation.

Also from your article:

“Having a high IQ, however, doesn’t completely eliminate the risk for schizophrenia. In fact, there are several well-known, brilliant and creative people who have suffered from schizophrenia”

Lots of things can cause brain damage. Lots of things can trigger schizophrenia. And many of those things overlap.

3 Likes

I had a healthy IQ before schizophrenia, but it was nothing compared to my siblings. Even though I was average/above average my parents and siblings are all geniuses. My father has a PhD and my mother an MD. And my siblings are both very high IQ as well. I deviated from the norm, while I had some academic strengths like english I was never as sharp as either of my siblings. I think this contributed to me being the one who developed schizophrenia. Of course I could deny deny deny but at some point you have to have humility. You can read the article however you like and interpret it in any way which appeals to you.

So now you’re saying that you weren’t “too smart” to develop schizophrenia? I’m confused.

2 Likes

Not to come across as arrogant, but I’ve always been pretty smart. Definitely smarter than my siblings. Gifted program through school, always got good grades without putting in too much effort, etc. I’ve got a BA in political science, and have so far been published in two literary journals. And I am also the only one of the six of us to develop schizophrenia.

5 Likes

I have a high IQ. I was accepted into the US Naval Academy. I have an MBA and not to sound arrogant either but I am the sharpest amongst my siblings. I completed all my college and most of my military career before I got schizophrenia but it ran me over like a bus. Diseases don’t discriminate. The chances are one in one hundred. Lucky us. I don’t think your IQ was to blame. I am the only one in my family that is mentally ill.

In May I will get an Associate of Science as an aviation maintenance technician but I am doing that with the illness. It will be more important to me than my MBA.

7 Likes

I have read that high iq is associated with better outcomes…i dont think it can protect against the illness being activated but i am certain the more intelligent the person is the more he will be able to achieve despite having the illness…

I also would have told myself not to get wrapped up in drugs. I’ve done so many and it just ruined my life growing up. I would also tell myself some things about high school so I could have gotten thru it a little easier. High school was pretty terrible for me.

I had a kid tell me once that he doesn’t think he could ever become psychotic because his personality is too strong and he would be able to overcome the psychosis. I don’t know what to make of people that say such rediculous things. I was just as social and outgoing as anyone else and look at what happened to me.

6 Likes

I know what you mean

I wish I did more!
In the prodromal state I could do more.
I would tell myself to eat healthy, exercise and do more!
Even if my disease would not have been prevented,
I had the opportunity back then to do more than now.

1 Like

Don’t be confused alone! I’ll join you!