What's a good book to buy?

This looks pretty captivating!

I’ll have to add it to my list of books to look out for.

From reading the reviews it sounds like it delves a little into the esoteric, but without getting too crazy.

Thank you @LED!

1 Like

You welcome :blush:

It says on Amazon that the Sheltering Sky is frequently bought with Naked Lunch. LOL.

And the other day I got a really nice, cheap used copy of Naked Lunch.

1 Like

Who wrote Naked Lunch? Now that’s one I don’t know.

1 Like

William S. Burroughs.

It’s a book that has a little bit of a cult-following. Kinda like a midnight movie, but a midnight book.

People either love or hate Naked Lunch.

1 Like

Guess I’ll have to check it out. Is it a “noir” sort of book? Black humor, etc? Oh it’s all right, I’ll go on Amazon and see. Thanks a lot!

1 Like

It’s kinda hard to describe. But yeah, Amazon or Wikipedia would do a good job of explaining it and the story behind the book’s production.

You welcome!

1 Like

I thought of another one: Dance Night by Dawn Powell. Think it was 1930. Very odd novel that gets out of the author’s control. It was intriguing for me.

1 Like

I’m reading reviews of it at the moment. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wrote a review of it too, but I shouldn’t blow my real name here.

1 Like

If you haven’t. Thoreau’s Walden and Civil Disobedience is a book everyone should read. If your up too high end philosophical insight Pirsig’s Zen and The Art of Motor Cycle Maintanence is an amazing read that leaves more questions than it answers. It’s uber heavy but amazingly brilliant work.

For the esoteric. Miyamoto Musashi’s Book Of Five Rings is amazing. He was a Ronin at the end of the samurai era who went around challenging others to fights as they did. He won over 60 personal fights with swords to boat oars then decided he knew nothing about sword fighting. He retreated and wrote the Book and did some amazing paintings that are well respected. It’s concise and talks about carpentry and everything else but is the distillation of his sword fighting philosophy. It’s an interesting read!

2 Likes

rogueone made me remember of an amazing book named The Egyptian
it’s about an egyptian physician and his journey in ancient time
its a real story that he wrote in old age
it’s very fascinating.

2 Likes

Good recommendations @rogueone!

I think I read Walden in high school. Good philosophical work. :+1:

1 Like

That looks interesting @moshtaba

1 Like

You probably know this but there’s Gutenberg.org. Lot of NF there

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.