What you can do about the new health care bill

I know everyone is feeling scared and helpless, but you can take action. Call your state senator, and tell them your concerns. Tell them how we rely on Medicaid coverage of mental health care in order to stay stable, productive members of society. Here are the senators currently expected to vote yes on the bill:

· Senator Alexander (TN): (202) 224-4944
· Senator Boozman (AR): (202) 224-4843
· Senator Capito (WV): (202) 224-6472
· Senator Collins (ME): (202) 224-2523
· Senator Corker (TN): (202) 224-3344
· Senator Cotton (AR): (202) 224-2353
· Senator Daines (MT): (202) 224-2651
· Senator Flake (AZ): (202) 224-4521
· Senator Toomey (PA): (202) 224-4254
· Senator Portman (OH): (202) 224-3353
· Senator Heller (NV): (202) 228-6753
· Senator Cassidy (LA): (202) 224-5824
· Senator Murkowski (AK): (202) 224-5824

Call and tell them that 70% of homeless people in America have a serious mental illness such as schizophrenia. Tell them that each homeless person costs taxpayers between $18,500-$44,000 per year in medical costs and emergency room visits. Tell them that these visits were usually for diseases that could have been treated with preventative care, if these people had insurance. Tell them your personal story of recovery, and how you would never have achieved this if not for access to proper medication and treatment. Tell them about the contributions you make to your community. We can make a difference!

14 Likes

I can’t honestly participate in that because all my contributions to society were almost 7 years ago or longer. I gave into the welfare system because I wanted to move out of Mom’s house at my advancing age (not being able to drive is a crippler in this town) and that was the only way I could find to do it under the rules and working seemed to be too risky under the rules and painful with plantar fascitis. So I can’t say I’ve done any good lately. I hope some of you who are still working can find the time to write to these folks and complain about the bill because a lot of folks who work need to have their meds paid for in order to continue doing so.

You’re still getting proper healthcare, and thus, not costing taxpayers $44,000 a year in unpaid emergency room bills that could have been avoided with routine care.

1 Like

Yeah. I’ve seen comparisons of hospital care to med treatment and it is significant. I also depended on the meds to keep me doing my jobs when I was doing them. Cutting Medicaid coverage will hurt a lot of people although I feel that those who are able to work should get an incentive to do so rather than risk no longer being considered as disabled because the meds that keep us functioning are often more expensive than the money we make working.

1 Like

I wrote an email today. I feel a little better.

4 Likes

For those who are still unsure about how to contact your senator, follow this link.

https://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/