What were you like as a baby/young child

According to my parents I was difficult to get to sleep. Had to have one of them stay with me till I fell asleep. Woke up with frequent nightmares. Stuttered. I had bad physical coordination. Watched a lot of tv. Apparently rushed into the kitchen to share the news of the Kennedy election in the fall of 1960’. I was about 3 years and 10 months. Info is scant as my father has said his memory of my early years is very patchy. According to my mother,frequently when she was alive, I was an awkward baby/toddler/child/teenager etc

3 Likes

I was crying all the time apparently.

2 Likes

I was born dead, but then my mom bring me into life by pinching my big toe. They say I haven’t shut up since. So I guess I was a noisy child.

3 Likes

I think i was a pretty normal baby. I was very talkative as a young kid and when i got to school age i remember going to counseling at the mental health center. I was having problem not wanting to go to school and going to the nurse everyday trying to go home. Oh and my mom told me i told her i was gonna jump out the window of our upstairs apartment and kill myself when i was five. So there was that.

3 Likes

I was a shy kid who talked a lot around family or friends.

I always wanted to push the shopping cart wherever we went for some reason. I was an introvert who played video games, kind of like I am now. The situation at home was far from perfect.

3 Likes

I was serious child studying all time
Straight person dont want to deviate from that
And dont like school as it is
Love to study on my own

2 Likes

I think I was fine. My issues really only came when I was 11 or so.

2 Likes

My mom says that she had to go into the hospital for several weeks shortly after I was born, and I went to stay with my grandmother during that time. I was suddenly weaned and put on formula that I was allergic to - it was iron-fortified and I can’t tolerate iron. She says when she got home and she got me back, I was sad.

I was in casts for the first six months of my life because I was pigeon-toed. I was a slow walker but a very early talker and reader.

Incredibly shy and uncoordinated in school. I was taught separately from other children because I was too far ahead (5th grade level in kindergarten, college level in 4th grade) to participate in standard lessons and couldn’t be moved ahead in grades enough to make a big enough difference to make up for my social deficits. When called on in class, I would whisper the answers to kids sitting next to me, and they would tell the teacher what I’d said.

I really idolized classmates who were athletically accomplished or artistic. I was neither. Terrible handwriting and my only athletic skill was the standing long jump - I could jump very far.

I came out of my shell in junior high and high school and was reasonably popular and well-liked. Still clumsy as heck, tho.

7 Likes

I always had social problems as a kid. I was an only child so I just kinda never really wanted to interact with others, it just became the normal for me. I also had problems talking which really hurt my self confidence and interactions with others. I unfortunately had to take special education classes because I could not speak appropriately. So yes, I had the social problems but thankfully I didn’t get the psychosis till I got out of high school.

4 Likes

My dad says I was always either laughing or crying.

2 Likes

when i was a kid i was very active… i either sang, or played with tennis balls with my neighbors.

1 Like

I was told I was a “good baby”…hardly ever crying and being generally happy…I think it was because I was the first boy grandchild and I had curly hair…like shirley temple curly hair…I was born with the curls. anyways…I was always being loved I assume by my grandparents and father and mother…they were young so I was raised most of my first five years at my grandpa and grandma on both sides while my parents worked. I have happy thoughts when I think of my childhood…it was extremely cool to be so loved.

4 Likes

when i was a baby though i cried alot.

1 Like

I was a very hyperactive child.
I suffered with panic disorder and night terrors.
Overall had a happy childhood and very social with the neighborhood kids.

1 Like

I was a happy baby. As a toddler I only cried when people tried to take my picture

1 Like

My mom said I was a sweet, good natured baby /toddeler who rarely cried.
The crack and heroin 25 years later didn’t change me much.

2 Likes

I was worse case scenario and very sarcastic. People apparently used to find me hilarious because they would be like let’s go to the park, and even at that age I’d say like, oh great, that sounds like fun coming from a little kid. I guess I must have been dead pan like I am now.

My mum always said at 3 when I wouldn’t stop asking the air hostess when the plane was going to crash.

I also had the gift of being able to sleep anywhere. If my parents went out I used to sleep on the floor under the table a lot.

I also got sent home from play school on my first day because my stone was the one that happened to break the window.

3 Likes

I was a pretty gregarious kid. Nerdy but socially pretty good. Still have memories from first year of primary school of ocd behavior. I’d have to do things in predictible and set ways. I always was a little weird. Most kids in high school thought I was nice but on drugs…didn’t touch drugs till much later.

I don’t think much has changed :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes difficult to get to sleep I stayed up really late and woke up if you tried to put me in the crib so my mom just slept with me in bed. I never wanted to be set down in general. I also had frequent, vivid and very graphic nightmares as a young child. I was eccentric, my mom said I was fearful. (I had paranoia over a lot of different things) I was also supposedly very serious and it was difficult to make me laugh or smile. I was very very bright though apparently and could read fluently by the age of 3 without being formally taught.

I think the birth of my younger brother helped me grow a lot, I became sillier because I loved to make him laugh. I never lost my eccentricity and had many odd quirks and behaviors but became steadily more outgoing, sociable and good humored.

2 Likes

i think i had a psychotic break in like second grade, age 8 or thereabouts

i had issues as early as 3 or 4, something was a bit off

it was a progressive decline from there, i went from being normal to gradually becoming more and more not having friends, then when puberty hit it was kind of like everything was on pause and i got pretty depressed

toward the end of high school the cognitive issues started really showing, major break at 19 w/ hospitalization

and thats all she wrote

2 Likes