What was your schooling like?

What was your schooling like?

1 Like

Awful. I went to 9 different schools, 3 of which were Christian schools (the absolute worst). I hated school ever since first grade when I had an abusive teacher, it never got any better. I dropped out after I completed 11th grade and got my GED.

2 Likes

Dropped out of high school then got a ged enrolled in community college for criminal justice and business then dropped out of college. Got a online certification successfully in forestry but it never lead to a job. Worked most of my adult life at restaurants, department stores, gas stations , contract jobs now own a hauling and lawn care business. If i could go back to school it would be for health and human rights or a skilled trade.

1 Like

Went to all public schools.

Bullied because I was an easy target.
From elementary through junior high.
Mostly liked home economics and orchestra.

High school loner. no bullies.

So glad school when school was over.

3 Likes

i can relate

when i developed my alters, my bullies left me alone

actually they still probably bullied me i just didnt care anymore, cuz i had my alter to fall back on

and my alter was the GOAT

2 Likes

I also hated school.

2 Likes

I graduated high school with something like a 2.6 gpa. I went to college for a year, then dropped out and went to work full time. I finished an Associate of Arts degree while working. This was before I got sick with Sz.

1 Like

Thinking back on school I guess I always had sz, I had problems at school with in class behavior and studying and doing homework. A school councilor said I was disorganized in grade 8. I don’t know what she meant by that. I was sent to a psychology clinic where I talked to a psychologist and psychometrist and I did a test and scored above average in all areas. In highschool, grade 9, I failed every class, but returned more focused and self-isolated and started achieving but then had my first psychotic episode in grade 10. I mostly did well in school after that by eliminating distractions by isolating from others and graduated from highschool and went to university. I had a psychotic episode just before final exams first year and was locked in the hospital for a month or so. The next year I went to community college but had another psychotic episode which led to a period of instability and homelessness. In 2007 I went back to university and was successful, but psychosis came back and in the years after from 2010 to 2016 I was psychotic. Since being on meds I attended an academic upgrading program because I was bored and finished the English Academic certificate, and a level of the math program. Then a few years later I finished a 6 month certificate program in the trades, and recently finished a stand-alone course in fluid power

1 Like

I got the idea that college was supposed to be some sort of dream time in life only to discover that I hated it. I was tired of the nose to the grindstone studying. I graduate, though, but not fit to hold down a job. So it all seemed a waste of money.

2 Likes

I went to a self paced high school. It was structured similar to university with seminars and stuff.
Lots of good extracurricular courses too.

I took kickboxing class and archery. I even had a relaxation class where you just listen to a relaxation exercise with music lol

2 Likes

I loved school. One of my good friends dropped out at 16. I thought he was crazy. School is where all the girls were.

College was fun too. I graduated early. Probably should have stayed another semester or two.

2 Likes

It was horrible. I got bullied everyday.

2 Likes

School years were the best for me. I wish I could turn back time and relive some of it.

2 Likes

i went to a private academy from 3rd grade to seventh. it was shirt and tie dress code. good education and i joined band and learned the drums and percussion. then i wanted to give public school a try knowing no one there i swtched. girls noticed me, you could dress how you wanted. i was the new “skater” guy. made the honor roll and then lost all interest. 9th grade i had burned myself out all summer. had a steady girlfriend. played music with people. my girlfriend introduced me to a crowd of kids. i git them drinking heavily and they got me using psychadelics and pot all day. before that it was like a dimebag evety 2 weeks. played music. played in band. didnt go to class most of the time. then i dropped out. they put me in level 4 history the week i dropped out. thats just below honors. partied. fell in love. played music and worked when i could.

1 Like

Exactly what happened to me.
I hated school since my b!tch of a teacher screamed at us all day.
I dropped out my sophomore year and got my GED, then began working, mostly in restaurants.
I hated christian school and was bullied and picked on
My family kept moving so I had to re adjust to different levels of curriculum
School just isn’t my thing, and I’m living a great lifestyle without it :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

First school was PNEU school in Bangkok from age 4-7. I have no memory of being bullied.I did have enough problems for teachers to suggest that I be assessed. That was done at Gt Ormond street in London. It was to test for the ‘S’ word. The result was negative , and other possibilities weren’t explored.

1965–1970 I was at prep(boarding school). For the 1st 3 years I wet the bed almost every day, but didn’t wet the bed when at home.My brother also started there in the autumn of 1966. Being first generation boarders we were not favoured in the way boys who had a long family history of bring privately educated were. I can remember being teased a bit ,but no actual bullying. However an incident on the day I was leaving there tells me,on hindsight, that I wasn’t liked very much. Unbeknown to me another boy had put tobacco in my cup of tea. I took a gulp of the tea and felt very nauseous.I was sick during the end of term chapel service. I think the boy did it,because ,like me, he was leaving and there’d be no repercussions.

From 1970-1975 I went to Felsted the bullying started within days of starting there. The catalyst? Naively admitting I knew very little about sex,while all the other boys were bragging. That, coupled with the fact I was physically and socially awkward, made me a prime candidate to be severely verbally bullied.

The result,mental health wise, first of all was what we now call social anxiety. Increasingly severe depression followed. I overdosed at the end of my penultimate term there. I’d been seeing a pdoc for about 16 months then. Foolishly I agreed to go back to take my A levels. I didn’t want to disappoint my parents. After a week of really struggling I went to the nurse running the school sanatorium and said I couldn’t cope. After a few days there I was transferred to the nearest large psych hospital.

1 Like

I went to an academically elite public high school. I got bullied just a tad at the end.

I enrolled in college. That was when my sz started. I lasted three semesters and got dropped for poor grades.

I sat out for a year. I reenrolled in college and finished. I planned on going to law school so I took the LSAT and did well on it.

I enrolled in law school out East. I had stopped taking my medications about a year before because of side effects. I had to drop out of law school due to symptoms.

I waited another year and reenrolled in a law school closer to home. I eventually completed law school.

1 Like

And i also hated school.

2 Likes

I think not being bullied and having nice classmates/teachers has played a big part in me enjoying school. There were a few boys who were mean to me, but they weren’t part of the same class as me. I also liked learning most materials, except chemistry. I hated mindless memorization though, which makes up a large chunk of most teachers’ requirements. In history and literature classes I approached lessons from a logical viewpoint, tried to make connections, draw parallels and conclusions rather than focusing on remembering dates or exact quotations. I was passably good at math(s) and really good at physics and astronomy. I didn’t excel at team sports but I did well in athletics (running, jumping).
I regret not being more ambitious during college and giving up too easily on classes that seemed too hard or too boring. It has had bad repercussions later on, in my professional activity.

1 Like

First grade through ninth grade was a breeze, but high school was when the mental illness started. I kept it to myself, but I was pretty miserable.

1 Like