What was the first sign of mental illness you had?

My first sign was social isolation. I didn’t want to talk to other children or play with them.

1 Like

My moods were always prolonged ups and downs to the extreme which just got worse until around age 21. Age 21 had a full on manic psychosis for a few months where no one around me could get through to me that it wasn’t real. How I graduated from college in that state is amazing.

1 Like

Behavior issues have been treated for years more recently, especially the schools want it

I got detention just about every day in 7th grade
and I almost got kicked out

I was the class clown.

I don’t know, I think we had it easier back then than kids today,
but that’s just me. Millennials might change all that. hope so.

I had hallucinations, paranoia and delusions from a very young age. My mom said I was talking about ghosts in my room by 2. My memories of it all start at age 3.

At that age, those symptoms can be confused for typical kid stuff like imagination and fearfulness. My parents would have had no real way to recognize it as psychosis so I don’t blame them. The thing is it never went away, though I did learn to stop talking about it.

1 Like

My mom said i told her i was gonna jump out the window and kill myself when i was five years old. (We lived in an upstairs apartment). Throughout my teen tears i was irritable, angry and had suicidal thoughts.

1 Like

I actually can’t remember.
It could have been paranoid thoughts like thinking people were listening in on me like I was a celebrity.
Or tactile hallucinations.

As a kid I would wake up and still see visions of the dream on the walls. I would shout “make it go away” to my mother. The pediatrician then said it’s natural

For me it was what is now known as social anxiety.

1 Like

the first sign was magical thinking to an extreme even for a child.

Delusions,paranoia,hallucinations as a kid.
But before all of these I suffered with mania and depression.

1 Like

Pretty much as a kid ever since I can remember I had trouble talking to people and depression.

1 Like

I was four years old when I had my first hallucinations (bats and spiders on the bedroom ceiling and wall) I do not have memories of being “normal”.

Bad ocd behavior in a grade 1 playground. I had to do things in the playground a specific way. I was always a little different it would seem!

1 Like

I believed my bosses old and new were wealthy which they were but I thought they were framing me for a robbery that had happened to my boss…started talking to my microwave because I believed it was bugged.

2 Likes

I had what I now now is an anxiety attack in shop in 8th grade. It was horrible and I got sent to the office and threatened with being sent to juvy because that is what they did with problem kids. Instead I ended up being sent to the state mental hospital. Learned about trazadone at 14.

1 Like

My pdoc says mental health is not wether you have a mental illness or not. If you feel uncomfortable for a long time and you are not capable of solving your problems your mental health is not ok. When i was 6 my sister graduated. I was given flowers to give to my sis. But i was so overwhelmed by alot of people in the hallroom i gave the flowers to someone i didnt know. My mental health was failing me.

But if you ask the first sign on sz…i would say in a funeral i felt i lost it cause people were crying. And i was sertain it was my sister but it was another woman. I was standing 3 meters from this woman and i thought it was my sister. It happened 9 years before admitted to the hospidal.

1 Like

When I was three, I routinely visually hallucinated a monkey in my closet.

2 Likes

Depression mostly.
And ADHD.

1 Like

Early on I think social anxiety, which was always manageable, particularly compared to my problems now.

Later it was repetitive, obsessional thinking, which made me feel tormented by my thoughts.

1 Like

I forgot to mention the awful panic attacks I had throughout my earlier years.

1 Like