What should I get my grandmother for her birthday?

It’s my grandmother’s birthday this month and I have no idea what to get her. I never know what gifts to get people. I’ve always just sent her a card but I feel like that’s just not enough.

She’s Dutch and lives in Palo Alto, CA which is in or near Silicon Valley. She’ll be turning 87 early this month. I don’t think she’ll live much longer.

2 Likes

Writing a birthday letter is always appreciated. Tell her what you are up to, how you feel, that you love her and anything else that comes to mind.

4 Likes

I would send candies with a card. My grandmother loved candies and chocolate.

1 Like

Does she have hobbies? Or is she too frail now?

She likes going for walks but I think all she does now is watch TV and listen to the radio.

1 Like

Then go for a letter and chocolates

1 Like

A scarf. They have so many nice ones for good prices. And Amazon can send directly to her address. This scarf is only $14. Just an idea.

4 Likes

Maybe take her out for breakfast at a cafe.

Or to see a movie or do something together if not I agree a scarf is nice idea.

Does she like alcohol?

1 Like

I don’t know if she drinks.

1 Like

A pretty soft shawl or blanket as winter is coming.

2 Likes

If you have enough cash, get her a modestly priced bracelet with all of the grandchildren’s names emblazoned into the metal.

My Nanny had one…each silver leaf on her bracelet had one of our names on it.

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

why not visit her?

I can’t afford to visit her.

you could send her a personalised car with a picture of you and and write how much you love and care about her :slight_smile:

1 Like

I mailed her a card today.

2 Likes

Everybody likes food gifts, get her some of her favorite food or candy.

Woman love flowers. Roses are expensive but maybe some daisies or chrysanthemums.

Maybe a nice picture for her wall?

2 Likes

Palo Alto is nice and has many nice little coffee shops and cafes. It has many beautiful tree lined streets including downtown. Is there anyone who could take her out for coffee and a pastry? Maybe either buy her a gift certificate to a small outdoor restaurant or slip $15 dollars cash into a card and tell her it’s for her specially to have coffee.

2 Likes

Maybe a 25 dollar Amazon gift card, and a warm blanket?

Just some ideas. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A gift card is a good idea.

1 Like

One of her sons is visiting her. So maybe he can take her to a restaurant or a cafe.

2 Likes