What should I Do?

I love my friend because he gives good advice which leads to sobriety but he don’t want to know me anymore because i don’t drink alcohol or take drugs anymore. We are not happy together anymore. Should I loose a loving good friend over sobriety?

Yes you should get rid of that “friend”
Your health is more important than abusing drugs and/or alcohol

5 Likes

I agree with @anon51414962 .

4 Likes

Lose the friend, choose healthy living instead.

3 Likes

But that means I will be lonely again.

I was lonely most of my life. There are people you can make friends with. A little time

1 Like

Not everyone you lose is a loss! Even though he’s giving you good advice, it seems he doesn’t actually want you to stick too it. Do what’s best for your health!

2 Likes

Being around someone who is still into those bad habits would greatly increase your chances of falling off the wagon. Better to lose the friend than lose yourself.

2 Likes

When I quit drinking, pretty much all my friends disappeared, I was single and also discovered the other people were only calling me if they left their partner or were fighting, they never called if things were fine and never invited me to dinners, BBQ’s etc so I gave up on them

Long story short, I have been alone 99% of the time for 30+ years

3 Likes

how can he be a loving good friend if only alcohol and drugs keep you together?

2 Likes

It’s tough to say honestly, lots of my good memories with friends we were drunk or high but now I’m sober they don’t come around. It’s a trade off of being happy for the moment or choosing my health and maybe being lonely as hell. I save money now, I think straight and don’t make terrible decisions and have a lot more free time so it’s worth it for me. Wish you the best do what you know is going to help you in the long run!

1 Like

We just get on like hell on fire. I never find a friend like him again. It’s like he is myself and I can only contact him in certain ways.Maybe I have a break of him. He is not out of my life. I know I am always welcome. Maybe he tries to tell me something as he lead me to this crossway.

Perhaps you could join AA or NA to find other friends who are also sober.

1 Like

I joined this website. That is more help as I wanted.

2 Likes

Yes, lose that “friend”. He is not good for your sobriety. He sounds like he doesn’t want to be your friend anymore anyway.

1 Like

Yes i talked to my friends on this site and to my long life friend. No one should make friends with people like us “me and my friend” in the first place. My friend had the similar problem.We made a step in our hell forward. Thanks for your advise.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.