What sets a mentally ill person free?

What set me free was the realization that I’m still responsible for and in control of my own life. I felt like I had no control for so long.

2 Likes

Taking care of responsibilities and obligations and my business. I do that and then I try do something fun with the free time I earned. I’m in-between friends now so for fun and get out of the house I go to some store that appeals to me and just kind of browse around for awhile. I lucked into some money so I go to Target, or Sprouts, or Kohl’s or Walmart or Walgreens and look around for whatever appeals to me I can afford to buy within reason.

I’m an adult with some money and I can go where I want. I work, pay my bills, keep my house clean so in lots of ways, I don’t have to answer to anyone.

1 Like

Ever heard this Socrates quote?

“Beware the barrenness of a busy life.”

There’s a lot to take away from that simple statement.

Lots of people I would argue are more ill than they might think they are.

One thing is for sure is it doesn’t fix itself.

I always hope one day though I’ll fall asleep and wake up with an epiphany or something and be relieved indefinitely. Otherwise you have to do self-inquiry and more honest inquiry in general to really find it out.

2 Likes

At the veteran hospital they are using a mindfulness practice to help veterans to live in the moment and being aware of thoughts and feelings and not be judgemental. Just accept the feeling is there and how at that moment they make you feel. There is more to it than I can explain. Try finding a book on it. It is really starting to help me set me free

1 Like

In my case… what could set me free is either a miracle, or maybe death
(not that I’m suicidal, and I’d hope the “spirit” controlling me isn’t either; just a complaint about the condition I am stuck in)

1 Like

Recently I watched a movie called Rabbit hole. In it there is a concept of multiple reality or parallel universe. It seems to be interesting and it has opened up my mind somewhat. I tend to think so negative that I get stuck a lot. But I kind of try to think now multiple realities to a situation and I don’t get over stressed because of the event or situation. I rather think there is more to the event and that sets me free for now.

in hospital… watch the film hurricane
it’s about a black boxer guy who was the best in the world but the organisers didn’t think they wanted a black champion of the world

so they fit him up for a murder and sent him to prison half his life

what he did there gives me the freedom i have carried with me where ever i go after a very long hospital stay or 2 with the philosophy
: they can’t imprison me if i choose to be here

counts in all situations

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.