What job can i try with disability?

I currently experience 4 to 5 % psychosis lingering in the background but i can ignore it bc i know its fake. The psychosis caused me to have aphantasia (no imagination… no mental images) so i cant retain alot of info… except general info.

I wish i can make my parents happy with a decent job but i think i can only go for low skill jobs. Like cashier, office receptionist, desk person at retail business, or cook. Maybe beginner english teacher?

Im good with music and art. I can play about grade 10 piano. And i know how to combine styles. For flowers, clothes, photos, etc. I havent explored artistic skilled jobs that much but would like to. I worry that such school courses require tests rather than project evaluations.

Also im thinking that highly repetitive jobs referring to common sense or manual physical repetition (location placement, order of tasks) might work with my bad memory.

Does anyone have some good suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone.

3 Likes

I figure you have to be 95% to hold any job. Here’s how I figure that…

Some days you can just call out sick. More than once a month and they’ll probably fire you. So don’t waste their time and yours if you can’t manage ■■■■…

Also, if I HAD to get a job I would at least make an attempt to get some sort of skills… does your community college offer any certificate programs? I would fake my ass off and try at a real job before taking any of those jobs you just mentioned… you’ll need to make up a reason for an employment gap. Something that’s a disability, yet recoverable from after all those years…

This is where I would start if I felt 95%

1 Like

Peerworker maybe. Being someones friend and it pays you a living. Carer

1 Like

If I had to get a job, I would do retail like Walmart. Costco feels too stressful and hard and I wouldn’t want to let a good company like that down. I’d feel like a failure.

But I recommend community college programs that lead to higher salaries and higher pay. My step-bro doesn’t have a college education but 20+ years in automation/robotics and makes a ■■■■ ton of money.

1 Like

I have been working at a liquor warehouse for the past 4 months and have had a small to medium bumpy ride getting to where I am now. The job is highly repetitive, common sense and requires physical labor work. Try applying at a logistics warehouse near your area.

1 Like

Warehouse work seems pretty mentally light. Also you don’t need to remember much.

It’s fun too, lots of down time where you can talk with the fellow workers.

Whatever blue collar thing you choose, be proud of it! Earning money as a schizophrenic is a huge accomplishment.

2 Likes

Thanks for the inputs everyone! They got me thinking about implications i didnt know about. Sounds great! I wish you guys good luck on your career statuses too! We are all recovering with our own battles and goals/dreams!

1 Like

I also heard its brutal. Warehouse work that is. I wouldn’t want to do it. I need to be a little stimulated…

I have elbow problems and put a requirement in the temp agency that I could only lift 20 pounds or less.

It was not hard. Just loading toy boxes into a truck.

2 Likes

i would like to know what job suits me as well, recently i tried driving again after several years of not. It wasnt too great…i felt unaware. I want to be able somewhat aware and alert of what im doing if i work again,especially full time.

All I can say is that warehouse work pays and it pays well. This type of employment wasn’t my first choice but rather out of convenience of being part of the workforce instead of receiving disability for doing nothing. I’d prefer to be employed doing some sort of Information Technology, Finance or desk job but sometimes you have to accept the fact that we as schizophrenics may not have the option of working at our desired or ideal employment. You may only be able to work at what’s available to you and not what your ideal work is. The requirements for the warehouse I am working at is to be able to lift 50lbs. and so I’ve gained some muscle on my arms.

2 Likes

There’s always the jobs that require manual labor where one’s compromised mind does not affect performance if your body’s up to it. But if your meds cause too much weight gain your body won’t be able to handle it. By then you’ll know however if the drugs work well enough for you to try a job that requires thinking. However make sure you have the required papers to qualify for the job. As you can see the fact that many of us are unemployed considering that the illness strikes early in our lives is self explanatory.

2 Likes

There are a ton of warehouses where I live. Amazon is here. I heard bad things about Amazon in the news and how they work their employees like dogs. Can anyone relate? I heard stories too.

I can work for my step dad if I wanted to…

Well stuff like working at a till was possible for me ft for 6 months

if i had been taking meds at the time not trying to show i was cured it could have gone on longer
but not forever
i’m not socially assertive and my colleagues started to get a bit mean.

i did some volunteering
there are a lot of interesting things out there
tree planting
receptionist in a local arts centre
charity shops
crewing in sailing

there is always travel if you can do it safely i don’t know
i don’t think i was safe but i was lucky

there is always exercise - so many different sorts
no one ever regretted it etc

i can hardly think of anything i would enjoy that’s easy that i havant’ tried
i studied which was always too stressful
hospital quickly followed most attempts

i worked 16 hrs in a kitchen paid
theat was good work for 3 months
organic field hand on a veg farm for 3 months 2x

Low skilled is the way

i disappointed my father but he is a jerk anyway

2 Likes

Thanks toshiko for the long reply. Those are fabulous suggestions. You did a better job than me findung work. Keep it up. Dont worry about your father… you did everything you could try.

1 Like

I think work ethic is so strong for us it is the main thing Schizo seems to affect with our self worth and the self stigma.

Wanting high achievement is a fakur to get rid of and it is the most unhealthy thing to tell a child - you can be anyone - was too much for me anyway

I know that i had to be a bit of a skimmer on the surface of things like a jack of all trades
it has mostly been for the best, that - i get bored easily anyway.

All Schizophrenics learn to pick up from nothing
that isn’t new - it happens to others too
just perhaps not so many times

I’m happy to be useful
think back if anyone told you ever about you being good at something
they may have spotted a talent you would enjoy following

1 Like

I think that going into the workforce with the mindset of “I’m disabled” is setting yourself up for failure. You have strengths and needs, like every other worker. So look at jobs that suit your strengths. You could teach piano. That’s a fairly easy job to start out. There are sites that allow you to find students who pay you through the site and it’s all freelance. You could do a factory job. You could do whatever seems interesting to you.

I will say that any job really depends on your managers and your coworkers. The scariest job I ever had was also the greatest, because I worked with an amazing team. The easiest job I had made me miserable, because my boss was such a jerk. It really depends on your teammates.

3 Likes

I’d disagree
it has opened a lot of doors for me
work is inclusive these days and sometimes you can have a chat with the boss
and not let your co workers in on anything to do with an illness
that gives you the edge as the ‘capable’ ‘disability quota’

i have always carried shame but it’s okay to find yourself more comfortable among people who are just a bit more understanding even if they would call themselves ‘not 100%’

1 Like

I just meant to focus on what you can do instead of what you can’t. Or what you think you can’t.

2 Likes