"What it's like to be a high functioning schizophrenic"

My functioning is variable . I just know I 'm doing better with support close at hand here in Wiltshire than I was in Essex.

2 Likes

I am considered moderately functioning by my mom, doctors, and apparently even the government based on my disability review. I have cognitive deficits and trouble controlling my emotions and I need heavy support in order to function at this level. I have some independence like being allowed to walk my dog all around the city by myself, but mostly my mom takes care of me. It frustrates me sometimes because I want to be an adult and make my own decisions, but I know it’s for the best and overall I understand that I’m not ready to be on my own. Anyway, I’m not offended by being referred to as moderately functioning. It’s just a reference to how well I function in society, not a reflection of my efforts or value as a person. I guess because, at the end of the day, even though I’ve gotten so much better, I just don’t function well. Doesn’t mean I never will. I feel like I’ll still have plenty of time if I just keep at it.

2 Likes

Right on, @Ninjastar!

It’s good though that there is an increased focus in research on how well we function and how happy we are as opposed to just how symptomatic and how well-medicated we are.

3 Likes

I guess I’m high functioning, with a diagnosis of sza, ptsd and adhd. Medication completely zapped the ‘positive’ (calling hallucinations positive is absolutely hilarious to me) symptoms, but left me a zombie. I’ve since had the AP reduced significantly, and can function better. I hold down a full time job, but barely ‘function’ socially. I’ve got one good friend, and some acquantinces (can’t spell either) but mostly just hole up in my house. Not sure how much of that to pin on sza, and how much is just being an introvert.

Finances are also a challenge. It’s hard to resist buying that gleaming bit of electronics, though I’m fortunately not drowning in bills at the moment. And psydocs, therapy and medications can be expensive.

The genetic lottery of life dictates that some of us will have the potential to do better with our psychosis than others . That doesn’t make a person better or worse than anyone else . IMO a person who supposedly could only reach level 3 but manages to reach level 4 is more worthy of praise than person with level 7 potential who only reaches level 6 .

I disagree. I think all should be worthy of praise for how far they get. This disease is awful and it doesn’t matter the potential someone e has if their will is stripped. Fighting through to reach any level is commendable.

6 Likes

I was just trying to show that it shouldn’t be about ‘high functioning’ as a badge of honour while ignoring the efforts less able people make .

1 Like

they are all equally worthy as they all try their best imo

I think he just meant that we all have different levels of our highest functioning. Like there are some of us who will never leave the hospital and others who can live and work as if they never had sz at all.

It’s far from that. Majorly. I get ignored when I am struggling by healthcare workers because they think I am doing well working.

My treatment from mental health services is shocking, and it has been due in part to them not thinking there is much of a problem due to this secondary label.

I cannot express my feelings with body language or facial expressions, even words.

The amount of suffering I have endured because my care co-ordinator ignores my concerns is shocking.

I had horrible side effects once, and a therapist told me to ‘get over it’

1 Like

In the psych hospital one time, a psych tech said to me, " you must be high functioning," but not sure what brought that on.
Maybe because I went through all the expected motions just fine?

I think that’s just the natural side effect of growing up with some not so very nice things every day, year after year…
you don’t want to stand out, nor draw attention to yourself- ever.

So that leads to the anxiety of trying to learn everything needed to appear as normal as possible, including replaying every possible situation you can think of into a rut like loop you cant escape…
then all it takes is one detail from the control grasp to knock it off it’s rails leaving you wide open and naked to everyone-

then this is where it gets interesting to everyone else,
but you.

You do as much damage control as possible,
and check out equally fast.
From life as you saw it.

1 Like

I’ve had the same kind of sub standard treatment for years too ,just more of it because I’m longer in the tooth than you . Like you I’ve had concerns ignored, been branded ‘awkward, demanding and troublesome’ for seeking more support . It was only moving here and support from my stepdaughter along with a less blinkered , and more intelligent pdoc , that got me the Asperger’s dx .

Ignoring my concerns was par for the course with my previous mental health team. They saw character assassination as a useful therapeutic tool.

It’s too late for me , too much water has flowed under the bridge, but I hope you can get the help and support you need before it’s too late .

1 Like

I am sorry this has happened to you @firemonkey

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.