Schizophrenia.com

What is your most amazing story of being treated like a human?

for me, right after i was released from the hospital after trying to starve myself to death, i ended up homeless. I was kicked out of two homeless shelters, one was run by the city and was over crowded, then other was run by a catholic church charity, and i was ‘too dirty and was acting possessed’

I was trying to sleep outside of a laundromat, using the dryer vents to keep warm (it was December, a few days before Xmas). A man came up to me and asked me if i was ok. I never got that man’s name, but he was dressed is a robe a scarf like something id never seen. (a hijab) He helped me to my feet, ignoring the filth of four weeks with no shower, and no change of clothes to be had. He helped me carry my stuff and took me to the ‘bad part of town’. In a building that had at one time been a community outreach center there was now a sign a crescent moon type thing that many people now associate with 9/11.

Inside i was down on the floor, on a soft mat, and the man talked to another man who was done up really nicely, but not in away that denoted wealth, more like, he as very clean, and his clothing reflected some kind of purity. He was Imam Abdiah (not sure on spelling) They let me use the showers there, got me some clothing to wear (a strange robe that was VERY comfortable) and gave me a blanket and mat of my own. The Imam taught me about the Muslim Faith, he told me how long he been a cleric, about his time both over in Iraq and in his time here in the US. He talked to me in the middle of the night when i had nightmares, he talked me to in the day when i saw things that were not there.

This man, who was of a faith so often called ‘brutal’ and ‘filled with hatred’ was one of the kindest people i have ever known. For three months i lived in a Mosque, the people were kind, some families brought food to me and the Imam, i developed a taste for the spicy rice dishes of the middle east, and garnered many laughs when i offered to help a woman with washing dishes when i visited their home. They did not judge me for my mental illness, even though it was so obvious at the time. They never once tried to pressur me into joining their faith. And when they were finaly able to help me get my meds and i turned around, they told me they never wanted me to join them, they only wanted me to understand that not all Muslims are killers.

Your story does not have to religious, but this story is one of my favorites to tell people, because one, it is real, and two i never felt more respect from a total stranger than i did when i was living in that Mosque.

6 Likes

If only the rest of the Muslim faithful were like that. I would caution you. When a person is first introduced to a cult, they “love bomb” this person. They give him all kinds of attention and care. Then, when the person joins the cult, they try to cut him off from his social support system and brainwash him into blind obedience to the cult. I’m not saying that is what these people were doing to you. Their acts of kindness are exemplary. Just don’t make any commitments to their religion if you can help it.

i am well aware of cult practices, but I remained in contact with the people in this community for several years, until I moved actually, and they treated everyone pretty well. When someone vandalized the Mosque, they never even reported it to police, someone painted slurs and slogans with pigs blood on the building and left the leavings from a butcher on the sidewalk out front.

I helped with the clean up from that, along with ten other people who lived in the area who were not muslim, so that the people of that neighborhood wouldn’t have to touch it.

I have been pressured more by Catholics and Pentecostals about joining them than by any muslim. I don’t judge people by their faith, and I am firmly agnostic, have been since I was 13, I listen to my grandfathers words of wisdom.

“A mans worth is not determined by his wealth or words, but by his actions.” I don’t know where my gramps got this phrase from, but it is an excellent way to live your life.

Besides, I may be susceptible to promises of cures for my SZ (not so much recently but in the past very much so) but I don’t fall for religious propaganda so much. Tho to be honest I do respect the current Pope…

1 Like

What you say is reassuring. I was beginning to wonder if there were any enlightened Muslims, so I’m glad what you tell me is true. At one time the Muslim religion and the mid-east was the intellectual center of gravity for the world, and Europe was backwards. I sure would like to see the Muslims return to their enlightened state.

A young couple helped me after I fall from the motorbike by myself (it wasn’t a collision). The deeds of this young man and woman touched my heart even though the incident wasn’t their business. He even reminded me of dropped wallet and slippers. In such an era with love cooled-off society, this surely is a booster to humanity.

1 Like

This is small, but it stuck with me.

I gad a rough time in first grade. I was shy, I was doing totally different, advanced coursework from the rest of my classmates, and my parents were going through a divorce. My mom came to visit my class one day, and I was terrified. I knew she would see that I had no friends and I thought she would be angry at me.

Normally at recess I played alone, so when we went outside, I just stood at the top of the hill with her. She told me that I should go play with my friends, but I said I would rather stand there with her. I was scared and miserable and ashamed, on the verge of tears.

Then one of my classmates, one of the more popular girls, came running up the hill, calling my name. She grabbed my arm and tugged me after her, saying, “I need you, you have to protect me!” and pulled me into a game where she was being chased by other kids.

I was so relieved. Like I said, it was such a small thing, but I’m still impressed with how much empathy and kindness that showed for a 6 year old. Her name was Erin.

5 Likes