Schizophrenia.com

What is your Independence like?

What do you do that helps you feel more independent?

1 Like

I live on my own, just got my own place last year so it feels good to have somewhere I can call mine and that I take care of even though I rent

3 Likes

My independence is being challenged by my lack of transportation and arthritis that hurts. Right now I’m getting by, living on my own. I’m 62 and don’t know when I’m going to have to go to the nursing home. I don’t have any family that I can live with.

1 Like

I spend lots of needed alone time during the day. I drive when I can.
I take care of my little therapy dog. Also I kayak on my own and that means a lot to me

3 Likes

It’s okay. I try to spend time studying. If I’m not doing that, I’m listening to music or smoking or both or sleeping.

When lockdown isn’t on, I’m very active in that I am constantly on the go between the local library, university library and town centre. Bus and train journeys are therapeutic.

3 Likes

Ill probably live with my mom until i die. Im okay with this.

4 Likes

Same here 151515

2 Likes

I can’t move around very well so I require assistance with that, but my crutches help. So the next option would be using a wheelchair, but I don’t want to do that yet.

To be honest, I don’t feel very hopeful about my mobility.

4 Likes

Hmm.

Independence?.

I Have Always Felt More Free Alone. While i Was Staying With My Parents (Years Back), I Isolated. And Studied The Nature Of Spirituality. Music Was A Key Connection To Hope, And Happiness. No Matter How Short The Chains I Was Strapped To Were In Actual Reality. I Would Set Sail With My Mind In American Entertainment.

And During The Many Years Of Trying To Completely Understand The Meaning Of Life.

Many Outside Forces Tried To Draw Me Into Failure. With Intentions To Erase Me. As Paranoid As That May Sound, It Is True. And Lord Knows, You Can’t Erase What You Can’t Comprehend.

My Freedom Is Like Pure Beauty When I’m Walking And Groups Of Birds, (Lushtaflurriah’s), Follow Me Around. Swooping Nearby. Bouncing In The Grass.

Not To Mention The Pups Who Have Escaped Their Homes. As They Walk Up To Me And I Kneel Down Cautiously And Pet Them. Both, Pup And Human Laughing Together At How Stupid It Can Get. Sad To Say, I Sometimes See It Everywhere. And The Looks I Get Are Unfathomable.

But!, In Truth!. If Left To My Own Devices. My Liberty Feels Miraculous.

Sad Part Is…, The Older I Get, The Idea To Start A Family Grows. And I Look At Everything Else As It Being Meaningless. Well…, Except For My Musical Instruments.

Can Someone Teach Me How To Play A Violin?.

Hope, True Love, Honesty, Joy, And Eternal Peace!.

1 Like

I live with my husband and our kids, so I was independent enough to have all that happen. BUT, I don’t: have a job, have money to spend even on family things without asking first and showing a receipt after (that was something we both set up when I was well because I made such poor choices with full access to family money), have access to my own medications (same situation as money) aside from a dose at a time and afterwards my mouth is checked, pay bills, do taxes, cook/use the stove or oven, or many other “adult tasks”.

I DO: record everything I do everyday (for memory and orientation), drive, supervise our kids (teens/tweens, so they don’t need much), and probably other things I’ve forgotten.

I’m just having a pity party about Meds and money. I guess I do have a lot of independence.

2 Likes

I’m waiting for the disability money.
That will render me partly independent.

2 Likes

I’m like a baby. Depend on dad. And stuff. It’s a horrible feeling… I feel so stressed out living like this…

5 Likes

Mine is ‘Independence with a fair amount of support’. That enables me to have a rather basic, but reasonably stable lifestyle. There’s a big difference between life now, and how it was before I moved here.

3 Likes

i will always live with my parents as long as it’s possible… i’m really dependent on them. Sometimes i fear what will happen to me when they can’t help me anymore. Pdoc said he would find nice place to stay then… like a long term psych hospital or something… or if i’m really lucky maybe my brother or sisters take me in…

3 Likes

What’s the difference?

1 Like

Nothing less than the lap of luxury.

I have everything I could ever want. All I need in this life, now I just wait.

:neutral_face::expressionless::neutral_face::wink:

3 Likes

Not self neglecting like I was in Essex. Having someone to benignly read the riot act if I go off the rails. Less anxious. More stable.

2 Likes

That’s great! Someone to hold you accountable!

1 Like

I have coming to me everyday twice a day since mid 2017 a nursing service that gives me my morning meds an my evening meds. I have a legal guardian. I live in my fathers House. I have no bankcard. I need to go at service times to the bank to pick up my pocket money.

In all of that I have the right to suffer or something else, but as long as I have my smokes I am fine. And I’m allowed to order stuff from the internet, and my legal guardian will then transfer that from my money.

Other than that I have free food, free tea and free coffee and also free sugar and milk for the coffee or tea. All sponsored by my father. So a lot of pleasures for free.

4 Likes

Shop on my own. Go out on my own.

1 Like