What is the most traumatizing part of schizophrenia to you?

• The hallucinations
  • The fear of going out and doing things
  • The loss of reality / objectivity (including ideas of reference)
  • The anhedonia (inability to feel much pleasure)
  • The avolition (lack of will to do things)

0 voters

I am looking for a general impression of what is worst about schizophrenia. For me, it was the fear of going out and doing things. If I could not be afraid of hallucinations and could just go out and live, I’d be happy.

Id say anhedonia, avolition and INSOMNIA.

1 Like

I chose loss of reality because that was the closest to PARANOIA. My Haldol takes care of the voices except for breakthrough symptoms once or twice a month. But I am relentlessly paranoid every day with various delusions powering it. I take a benzo as a rescue med, but my pdoc said there’s no med that specifically targets paranoid thinking. So I guess I am stuck on disability.

1 Like

Tough choice between avolition and anhedonia, they are both horrible

2 Likes

Hands down I feel it is the loss of reality. The paranoia, thought broadcasting, thought reception, telepathy and mindreading symptoms that are the hardest for me to deal with. Also the hallucinations sometimes.

5 Likes

I haven’t been diagnosed with schizophrenia, but I have avolition since my psychotic break.

I think it’s the worst of the negative symptoms.

It robs you of the will to do things, which means you’re not really living your life but just passing the time. It feels like such a waste.

Edit: On second thought, the psychosis itself was the most trauma-inducing. The avolition is just what I hate the most.

2 Likes

the asocial part

2 Likes

U havent recovered from ur break? The avolition isnt getting any better?

I hate it too. 12345

1 Like

I don’t have anymore positive symptoms, but I do have negatives.

Avolition is the worst one for me. It feels like I have to push myself to do everything and anything, whereas before I would just wake up in the morning and go about my business naturally.

I sometimes wonder if it’s the antipsychotic, but I’m not on a very high dose.

Are you saying that it’s something that’s supposed to go away?

Maybe it’s depression.

1 Like

Its not the antipsychotic. I was under the impression that it could get better.

2 Likes

i doubt it’s the ap also. If I look back in time, I notice the days leading up to my last psyche break, it became a little bit harder each day to do things. it’s like the delusions incapacitated me. i still worked hard, but something was ‘off’

1 Like

Definitely loss of reality and hallucinations for me.

The avolition. I hate having the idea to do something only to have that idea met with a bunch of inability, negativity, pain, weakness or a lack of confidence or salesmanship.

1 Like

the most traumatizing part is the things I said to almost every person I knew on social media. I thought I knew all the answers to life and how everything works, without a single doubt.

point is, this still effects my life today, but I have no regrets. it’s hard to detach from it because of how real and true it seemed.

it makes it complicated to decide what is ‘real’ and what isn’t.

1 Like

I thought my own mother is after me… After that: anhedonia.

2 Likes

All the above 1515

2 Likes

Delusions. @_____@

1 Like

I wish there was a way we could make more than one choice in this poll. There are a lot of things I feel traumatized from schizophrenia.

1 Like

The fact that I will never be as high functioning as I used to be is it. I can’t stomach looking back at myself and seeing what I could have become and what I am now and what I think of my future.

7 Likes