What is the most romantic thing you have ever heard?

For me, it would have to be in Shakespeare’s seventeenth sonnet: "If I could write the beauty of your eyes / And in fresh numbers number all your graces / The age to come would say ‘This poet lies / Such heavenly touches ne’er touched earthly faces.’ "

Also, maybe Tolstoy - I’m paraphrasing - “If I was not myself, but the richest, strongest, most intelligent man in the world I would go down on my knees and beg you to marry me.”

4 Likes

It was the way my grandfather proposed to my grandmother before he left for World War II. He wasn’t a singing man but he sang “you are my sunshine” to her and then asked her to marry him. She said “yes”.

4 Likes

The way someone threw a rock that landed close to me.

2 Likes

when reading some philosopher praise another man very highly(panegyric), in fact he wrote an entire book to praise the man, i found it to be simply amazing how much he put into it and how passionately he wrote.

1 Like

“Dinner is ready”.

2 Likes

I can’t remember anything specific. What is really romantic for me is having someone listen to my problems and having them try to come up with solutions… So you could say Algebra is romantic to me. :wink:

2 Likes

“Let’s take a long romantic walk to the fridge”

2 Likes

Do you want me to wash the dishes, or scrub the floor?

1 Like

I wasn’t so “lucky” with the romantic side of my partners but I remember a guy who bought a wine and rolled some weed on our first date and took me to an old graveyard where we drunk, smoked, kissed and watched the stars.
We were sitting at some old man’s grave so I didn’t felt any guilt about it.

1 Like

After discussing the sensitive subject of my schizophrenia to someone I’m seeing, he said he didn’t see anything that wasn’t marriage material and that I have qualities he finds more important than he once thought.

1 Like

Of literature… What comes up to me now are Dante’s damned lovers, Franceska and Paolo, who suffered together in Inferno.
In that part, Franceska explains to Dante how they stole a kiss from each other while reading a romantic novel together.

““Love, that can quickly seize the gentle heart,
took hold of him because of the fair body
taken from me – how that was done still wounds me
love, that releases no beloved from loving,
took hold of me so strongly through his beauty
That, as you see, it has not left me yet.
Love led the two of us unto one death.
Caina waits for him who took our life””
(Inf. V, 100-107)

1 Like

I just bought “Dante’s Inferno” off the shelf at the Salvation Army. I buy more books there than I read, though I do read some of them. I might have to check out Dante.

2 Likes

Inferno is very powerful… And to say, readable.
Other two parts…Purgatory and Heaven …not so much.

the most romantic thing I witnessed is when I was in London 15 yrsa ago. I was at a café where I saw two bums (male and female) share the refill cup of café. they shared the sugar too and shared each other. They were caring and loving.

1 Like

Most romantic movie ever made. Two vampires still crazy about each other after five hundred years. A meditation about what there is to live for when you’ve lived through everything.