What is the Keto diet?

Anybody on this diet? What is it?

It’s basically the Atkins diet.

1 Like

Low carb high fat diet. They aims to lower insulin sensitivity and use fat as energy sources instead of carbs. Intermittent fasting combined, it will maximize the effect making your body make ketones and easily burn your fat

3 Likes

I was to start a few months ago… need motivation to… I like bread too much…

1 Like

so what you would eat a hamburger without the bun or a steak? or bacon and eggs but no hashbrowns? or what do you eat? Like lean meat and no carbs and veggies? Or no veggies? what about fruit?

Typical keto breakfast is like eggs and bacon or scrambled eggs with avocado or eggs with cheese…
You can have coffee but no creamer or sugar…

Broccoli/cauliflower/asparagus, with chicken, lean ground beef 80/20… turkey…

There are a lot of different recipes and fun stuff you can make… I will send you some links to recipes…

1 Like

You can have berries… strawberries, blueberries,raspberries… high in antioxidants… you can use olive oil, avocado oil, butter …

I watch his videos a lot… he has really unique recipes

2 Likes

Its not good for long term because the brain can’t use fat as energy, only carbs, and stored carbs are limited to the liver, they don’t last long from what I studied in physiology but I don’t remember the exact time. My teacher told me that some ppl lost consciousness because they did a keto diet for too long, their blood glucose level went too low. Carbs are stored as Glycogen in the liver and muscle glycogen cannot get in the blood.

https://caloriecontrol.org/liver-glycogen-metabolism-during-and-after-prolonged-endurance-type-exercise/#:~:text=In%20conclusion%2C%20after%20approximately%2090,during%20exercise%20can%20attenuate%20depletion.

Its safe and good for short term.

And this guy. Lots of good info about the diet and the science behind it.

He also has videos where he shops and shows the best products to buy for the diet … also recipes and meal plans

1 Like

I had fun in university calculating for how long can a person exercise without ingesting carbs. We calculated muscle+liver glycogen in the human body. Doing intense exercise on a keto diet can lower blood glucose level below normal levels.

“In conclusion, after approximately 90 minutes of moderate-high intensity exercise liver glycogen stores will be depleted. Ingesting carbohydrates, glucose or sucrose, during exercise can attenuate depletion.”

Your body can make all the glucose it needs from protein.

1 Like

Yea my teacher said that’s not enough and not efficient.

I wonder what’s the point of a keto diet then if proteins are converted to glucose, isn’t that the same as eating carbs? :thinking:

1 Like

Keeps your blood sugar and insulin to the minimum levels, as your body can balance it.

Then as insulin is low you burn fat.

You’re ok as long as your blood glucose level don’t go below normal levels.

1 Like

Do you eat less with a keto diet? Because carbs are 4 calories/gram and fat is 9. You will gain weight with keto diet if you eat the same amount as usually. I wouldn’t be able to eat less than what I eat now. It would have been nice if fats were 4 calories/g too and not 9 calories/g :slightly_frowning_face:

The first few days I ate normally, after a few days hunger decreases naturally and I ate less often. The rule is eat when you are hungry, eat until you are satisfied.

I eat two meals a day now.

2 Likes

That’s good, I wish I had the motivation to diet. I eat because I am bored. I am bored bcz of my severe negative symptoms. I stay in bed all day everyday. But I am taking Metamucil Fiber and protein bars, they reduced my cholesterol, blood pressure and I am eating less. I guess its better than nothing.

1 Like