What is recovery, and can a schizophrenic be sane?

can schizophrenics be sane? or are we all just fighting ourselves and in denial of our condition? i picture myself as a chicken trying to fly.

1 Like

is the best i can do is doubt myself?

Recovery is a journey achieving what you need to accomplish your personal goalsā€¦ me I feel like chicken with the head cut offšŸ˜¶

3 Likes

Generally we are sane on working meds unless you are treatment resistant. I am sane on meds luckily.

2 Likes

is this a rhetorical question?

no one has that answer
and itā€™s probably different for everyone.

2 Likes

I am a sedated chicken lol I stay in bed all day everyday but I am sane at least luckily.

2 Likes

no i shouldnā€™t have used ā€œweā€ but ā€œIā€, didnā€™t mean to insult anyone. so the new question is, ā€œcan i be sane?ā€ i feel like im pretty much recovered, but then the thought just popped into my head, maybe that is just my condition convincing me of something that may not be true and im still delusional.

Yes, it just takes a while, you can find the right coping mechanisms to make back to sanity though, some people think insanity is possibly an addiction, idk

1 Like

you know, some of the greatest minds in history, were called ā€˜oddā€™ possibly even ā€˜insaneā€™ and a lot of times they didnā€™t have fancy labels.

My writings are considered ā€˜weirdā€™ not something I was trying to do. Iā€™m pretty proud of 'em though.

Iā€™m on meds so I can function, and to not hear voices.

1 Like

You have symptomatic recovery and functional recovery.

Functional recovery means you can function. symptomatic recovery means youā€™re free of symptoms.

You sound like youā€™re symptomatic-ly recovered at the very least.

3 Likes

I honestly think Iā€™m recovered But I take 5 mg haldol I donā€™t know how to convince my doctor to taper off I might taper off myself I went from 10 mg to 5 mg absolutely no symptoms and feel great

1 Like

I have anger issues I think if I calmed down I could be med free thatā€™s all

1 Like

Theyā€™re not irrational either I used to have sex with men and Iā€™m not even gay I was basically a prostitute sleeping in hotels with guys

I am insane without meds even when I am not violent. Illogical ideas, I am ashamed of my psychotic self not only because of violence.

2 Likes

poets have been fighting shame a long time, especially females.

in some parts of the world a mother tells a daughter when she has her period, let the blood run down your leg.

2 Likes

What is your idea of recovery?? @Lifer

2 Likes

I hope my functionality keeps improving, but certain things arent going to change I think.

1 Like

Iā€™m not saying Iā€™m crazy, but even on good working meds, I am anything but normal

2 Likes

Even in my worst psychosis I knew what was happening and I could make perfect sense. A part of me always faced that reality. I didnā€™t go around telling people I had a mental illness and when some doctor or therapist found out they would say that if I hadnā€™t told them they would never have guessed I had schizophrenia from the way I look or the way I talked.

3 Likes

I always say, no one is a 100% mentally ill, everyone Iā€™ve ever met has some sanity.

2 Likes