What is meant by the term "clinical" depression

what is meabnt by th term clinical depression…what is the clinical in clinical depsression

It means you have a certain degree of being depressed which is sufficient for doctors to call you depressed as a medical condition. Anyone can say they are depressed, it’s a word in the English language for a certain emotional state. To have a clinical depression you have to take a certain test which is a bunch of questions in a standard form, and if you score a certain number of points on that you qualify.

That’s how I understand it works, anyway.

1 Like

Depression ranges in seriousness from mild, temporary episodes of sadness to severe, persistent depression. Clinical depression is the more severe form of depression, also known as major depression or major depressive disorder. It isn’t the same as depression caused by a loss, such as the death of a loved one, or a medical condition, such as a thyroid disorder.

2 Likes

I think it means that it is bad enough for a clinician to diagnose depression on the person. I.e. - its long lasting and severe in so much as it significantly impacts daily living and accomplishment of what is needed to be done each day to take care of oneself and be productive and social.

1 Like

Everytime I go to psychotherapy,my therapist always ask me to fill in a form.I think it is related to depression and anxiety,all those questionare

1 Like