What is depersonalisation

Depersonalization - A distortion in how one’s own body and Self feel.
Derealization - A distortion in how the external world is perceived.

http://www.dreamchild.net/DPDR/dpdr.html

I’ve experienced derealisation when badly stressed. The worst time was when my wife developed vascular dementia.

2 Likes

I’ve had several bouts of dissociative amnesia/fugues, one lasting over 3 and half weeks. I know nothing of what happened in that time, but this is between deprsonailsation and DID on the spectrum.

2 Likes

So it’s like feeling detached from ur body…does that affect ur personality?

2 Likes

Normally I’m kinda just there my personality gets a little flat is the way I would describe it.

1 Like

I ask because sometimes I do feel like I’m (kind of?) detached from my soul but I think that is maybe not a rare thing.

1 Like

Well I wouldn’t worry about it being DID if I were you. It might be some dissociation. Dissociation isn’t that uncommon. But if you have any questions feel free to ask me!

Written during a very stressed period when my wife had vascular dementia and mental health services as usual were giving little support.

I wish i was dead i wish i had the courGE TO DO IT.iWI8SH I WAS PISSED
OR F88ING STRONED ican understand why people doit anything to take awy
the pain and the hurt and the continual rejection. I do my best tio help
others on and off line but apart from a handful of or two of exceptions
i am treated like i am subhuman and simple needs are not met except
weith excuses and reusals which each time they happen are me being
deliberately and viciously abused.
The world is 99.99 % ■■■■ heads and ABUSERS WHO should have been
strangled at bierth for the good of mankind a\nd womankind.
I am sick of being ignored and teated like i do not exist. Tomorrow i
might feel calmezz mostly in a negative way that haunts ME 7 days a week
WEEK IN WEEK OUT.
iF IAM F***ing lucky i 'll get to have the mental fever breaking bit was
what happened real or wasit a dream disconnected everythingh is
unaturally calm bit with the room looking
slighly weird insome way smaller bigger clearer just basically somehow
out of sync like everything is veing seen through the lwens of a an
avant garde camera man stoned on on lsd.

May be it’ll even be accompanied by intrusive thoughts -who f***ing knows.

Everything but everything is a means of ny being stresased iout .It is
no good saying anything no one who ahould hewlp will help ,

When the fever breaks and the unatural clm and weierd feeling comes if
it comes then there 'll be a kind of release in a distuirbing kindof way.

Thanks :slight_smile: yeh I dunno what it is, but it’s not like DID where there can be complete amnesia.

1 Like

I experience depersonalization and derealization. Life in and of itself is surreal and makes no sense to me. I experience my memories as if I’m telling them about another person. I look at photos of myself and don’t connect with them much beyond recognizing myself. I experience feelings of a fractured personality but without time loss, just general forgetfulness about the things I’ve said and done. I sound hypocritical a lot because my opinions change without me even noticing they changed. For example, I will have said something to my bf then say the opposite later or say I never said it because I just don’t remember what my opinions are sometimes. lol

1 Like

Whats that called if you dont know who you are?.. cause nobody on this planet knows who they are.

I can never see the word depersonalisation without thinking of the Human League song “Blind Youth”
“Dehumanisation is such a big word. It’s been around since Richard the Third. Dehumanisation. It’s easy to say. But if you’re not a hermit. You know the city’s OK” . They wrote pretty random lyrics.

I can sometimes relate to this: (Wikipedia version)

‘…Depersonalization can consist of a detachment within the self, regarding one’s mind or body…Individuals who experience depersonalization feel divorced from their own personal self by sensing their behaviors…as not belonging to the same person or identity.[7] Often a person who has experienced depersonalization claims that things seem unreal or hazy…’

‘Depersonalization is the third most common psychological symptom, after feelings of anxiety and feelings of depression…’

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.