What is depersonalisation and what is the cure for it

what is it and what is the cure for it

1 Like

Karl Markā€™s ā€¦151515

Depersonalization is a dissociative disorder. It can be caused by trauma, migraines, epilepsy, schizophrenia, etc. There is no cure. Basically you donā€™t think youā€™re real and can detach from your body like seeing yourself in 3rd person.

1 Like

Depersionalisation can feel like your are out of your body and feel like you are the 3rd person in your mind like @insidemind explains very well. I get depersionalisation when I quit Mirtazapine, Mirtazapine has been the cure for me and for another relative I know. Mine is caused by a ongoing racing mind.

2 Likes

Is depersonalization like the moment I think and think itā€™s so weird how Iā€™m human and Iā€™m alive? Iā€™m not sure how to explain this feeling well. Like I over realize I exist? It freaks me out every time I think about it. Itā€™s been happening since I was a kid.

1 Like

I have this when I get the flu since sz. Maybe before acute onset as well, I simply donā€™t recall it. Itā€™s terrifying when in traffic. But, you do get a bit used to it over several bouts of it. I mean, the feeling remains the same, but you can trust in a bit of an intellectualized way rather than that immediate bodily way that things will more or less turn out fine if you play by the rules. Thatā€™s my experience of it. Fortunately, I didnā€™t notice this much when I was full-blown psychotic, I can imagine it turning into mind-blowing delusions when combined with suggestive voices etc.

1 Like

Depersonalization is extremely surreal. Among the worst cases of it I had was walking aimlessly around the house as a ghost, was definitely not in reality and I had no body, sort of just floated and my very mind was like a breeze traversing the middle of absolutely nowhere.

3 Likes

When my dad beat me up I left my body and floated around below the roof. I could see my body but I did not feel anything. Trauma can also cause despersonalization.

1 Like

I had depersonalisation and derealisation in my first episode of psychosis in 2011.

Depersonalisation caused me, when i was at my most psychotic, to feel as if I had left my body, as if I was dead, but me as a ghost was looking down on my body. I would float in and out of this depersonalisation which contributed to the fact I thought I was dying. It felt like I was in limbo. God was deciding whether or not I was to live or dieā€¦while this was happening my mum and dad were beside me in the a psychiatric hospital, I could feel my mum and dad beside me but I wasnā€™t there, I wouldnā€™t interact with them because of my depersonalisation, I had to really concentrate to bring my self out it momentarily and ask them for a sip of a drink then I would feel ghostly and dead again.

Derealisation however happened in the few weeks before I was in hospital with acute psychosis, this made me feel as if I was in a movie, a game, as if there were cameras all around me watching what I did and I felt like I wasnā€™t real, I was a plant that didnā€™t belong in this world. I felt this was the point at which I was supposed to die because of my malnurished upbringing, I felt because it was so bad that I could only live until I was 17 (this was coupled with a panic attack at the same time)

The point being is Depersonalisation and Derealisation are symptoms of a psychotic breakdown, and to answer your question yes they can be treated if you respond to antipsychotic medication. Iā€™ve not had any symptoms now for 4 years since I was put on Amisulrpide (Solian).

http://depersonalizationrecovery.com/articles/depersonalization-cure-tip-1-the-dp-triangle/

Here are some cure tips, this being one of 4 articles.

Also some different article and some free videos

Why is there always this idea of a ā€œcureā€ for things that canā€™t even be properly understood?
The cure is going to look suspiciously more like ā€˜Manageā€™ it than 'Cure" it.

ā€œI have the cure and will share with you-for a nominal costā€ is really code for ā€œIā€™m snake-oil Sam, my trick today while entertaining you is to remove all the money from your wallet while you pretend your feeling better.ā€

1 Like

Depersonalization is believed possible to fully recover from.

Itā€™s a simple psychological pure OCD, disassociation from inner trouble, and psychosymatically induced.

If you canā€™t fight or flee something in the mind, ā€œthe only way is up and away I guessā€
(disassociation)

Schizophrenia is not really known to have a cure.

@Csummers

Iā€™m very familiar with it, itā€™s another one of those labels they tacked onto my forehead.
Had it my whole life I suppose. It gets worse when I am stressed out and better when I accept, and participate in life-generally.
Truthfully, it comes and goes at will. No formula have I ever discovered to do much difference, and not once have I ever had a Pdoc say anything that might be of help.
The abuse that one endures as a kid strengthens the walls one builds from the pain, and on a daily basis, the walls keep building stronger, and the portal easier to enter and exit. Iā€™ve never outgrown this.
The best I can do is manage it.

Sorry I seemed so negative, I just couldnā€™t read the article, maybe my eyes are just not responding to the words.

Nothing personal, Iā€™ve just slipped into funky kind of mood, sorry.

1 Like