What is best statin to take for high cholesterol?

I have been on Solian for 6 yrs now & it has caused my cholesterol to get quite high. What statin is the best to take? I know of lipitor & crestor. I am not keen on taking them but not sure what else to do. I have tried going natural with red yeast rice & lecithin but not working well enough for me. Any suggestions would be welcome…

sunnnybreeze

I take lovastatin…it works great.

How long have u been on lovastatin? I have never heard of this?
sunnybreeze

I’m on atorvastatin (Lipitor). Works great. A lot of statins can cause muscle restless. I went through 3 before I settled on Lipitor.

I use Simvastatin. I’ve been using it for the past year or so. I’ve heard that it gives severe nightmares… fortunately I didn’t experience that problem

I’ve been on lovastatin about 3 years…

I take Lipitor, it never has given me any issues

I take Simvastatin (Zocor) too. My cholesterol level is fine. I’m on resperidone and cogentin and webutrin. I have no side-effects from Zocor that I am aware of. Medicare or Medicaid covers the cost of all my medications. I have been on Zocor for at least 5 years, at one point a few years ago my cholesterol was so under control that my doc took me of it! But I eventually got back on it. One weird thing about Zocor and a few other medications is that you can not eat any grapefruit or grapefruit products while on it. I should mention here that diet plays a part in high cholesterol.While I was on Atkins my bad cholesterol went DOWN and my good cholesterol went up. Despite it being a high protein diet involving eating lots of meat. But I really think this is a discussion that you should also have with your GP or even your psychiatrist since they’re medical doctors too.

1 Like

“Lovastatin”… Hmm…sounds like such a friendly medication.

1 Like

Atorvastatin sounds like a warrior. I’ve started taking it but haven’t had any tests done. I’ve had times lately when I’ll be thinking and I’ll have a thought so overpowering that I can’t take it - and jump. Now I wonder if that might be a side effect. I haven’t noticed any others.