What is a personality disorder

what is a personality disorder…im confused…i googled it but am further confused as i dont understand why schziophrenia and bi-polar are not regearded as personality disorders

1 Like

Schizophrenia is very much a neurological brain disease, to put it simple.

Personality disorders are more psychological, you suffer often from a personality disorder cause of traumas in you childhood.

You can see schizophrenia in a brain scan.
You cant see a personality disorder in a brain scan.

Very short version of the differences.

3 Likes

Psychiatric disorders like schiz and bipolar are biological where as personality disorders are psychological please correct me if im wrong

1 Like

Genetics of Personality Disorders

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/9780470015902.a0022415.pub2

1 Like

I think I fall on the personality disorder spectrum quite often. It’s not like I just have neurological disorder, my personality has been affected greatly.

when i first consulted my pdoc many years back i asked him what is my diagnosis he said i have personality disorder.

after a couple of weeks on my 2nd appointment with him i asked him what is a personality disorder, what kind of disease is that? he said i have schizophrenia.

I answered in your other thread:

Nice question. Personality disorders are deeper in the brain and are more difficult to treat but they don’t cause disability like schizophrenia. Sometimes they are just a way of living. Schizophrenia can suppress/handicap your personality but it doesn’t change your personality.
I studied 4 classes about psychology in university.

1 Like

Hating the mothercker upstairs for being a manipulative bitc.

1 Like

I was re-diagnosed with mixed personality disorder, my pdoc at the time said he thought it was the underlying cause but i don’t agree. he didn’t explain it very well

1 Like

Mental health conditions with symptoms such as anxiety, low mood, panic attacks, phobias; eating disorders; bipolar affective disorders; obsessive compulsive disorders; personality disorders; post-traumatic stress disorder, and some self-harming behaviour.

It’s not as disabling as schizophrenia, but can still be regarded as a disability.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.