What in your opinion is the ultimate relationship with a significant other?

Curious to hear people’s opinions on what the ultimate relationship is with the opposite sex. I have never been in a long term relationship and I think I might be ready for one. I’m 38 now.

When I was young I wanted an amazing connection, mentally, physically and chemistry. I had some experiences with good connections, some mentally, some physically and some with chemistry but not all three.

What’s strange these days is I feel a connection with god that is very prominent and I don’t seek that ultimate connection to others anymore much at all. I feel like these days I at times want somebody to be close to (as I don’t have anybody like that in my life) but I’m not sure what else. Maybe someone to compliment me? I’m not sure what I’m looking for in others anymore other than a quality person that has sorted out their issues (and I’m finding that is exceedingly rare). I’m very happy on my own and get along with most everybody. I’ve had some women pursue me over the past few years that had a lot of problems. I’m definitely not interested in that kind of relationship!

Maybe I’m meant to be alone. I’m not sure.

2 Likes

I’m 58 years old, and I have lost the aching desire for a relationship that I had when I was younger. I hesitate to inflict my presence on another person.

I think you can be attracted to a lot of people so there’s always someone out there for you. I don’t need all that romantic stuff although I enjoy it. You don’t have to be anything but different from me and we have to get along. Have to be compatible sexually and I have to be attracted sexually to person. You don’t have to be my equal intelligence wise but you’ve got to have some game. That is pretty much it. I’m pretty easygoing and can take relationships or leave them. It’s usually about circumstance as I never say never!

Not looking at other people and only having eyes for each other. That’s a remarkable accomplishment in a relationship. You can’t have wandering eyes.

Also just being able to be yourself around them. Not constantly acting like you’re someone you’re not just to impress the person.

Being able to have fun together without spending tons of money. Even if you are loaded, you ought to try out a simple date like a walk in the park. You don’t have to try too hard to enjoy the other person’s company.

Good sex if you are a sexual person.

4 Likes

There’s no perfect relationship.

2 Likes

For me it was a best friend. We got each other and comforted each other. What point is it if not a partnership in this world?

1 Like

I feel like the ultimate relationship with a significant other is a friendship with romantic aspects.

I would like it to be like a best friend that I could also kiss, cuddle and hold hands with.

1 Like

There are a bunch of sayings out there. Like “the road to a man’s heart goes through his stomach”, or “men love what they see, women love what they hear” etc.

I am definitely a visual person, I am quite picky as regards a woman’s facial traits, but I will often overlook body proportions or voice or clothes, as long as her face appeals to me. Also, women who talk too fast or seem restless for some reason turn me off.
Now, going beyond the first date, I value a combination of nerdiness and empathy. I am looking for girls who aren’t scared of philosophical or technical discussions, even when they don’t grasp the basics completely. Also, she needs to be able to show affection, to care for someone else without the need for an immediate reward. If she’s into charity or philantropy or anything green, even better! And if she’s got a sense of humor too, I’m sold!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.